Big gigantisump comming online soon :)

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I have 150 gallons of ro/di in it right now. That means only about 2 more weeks of making water and I'll be ready :rolleyes:

The vodca thread got me thinking. No one really knows beond speculation what size and types of benifits this will have on the system. I've had some people tell me it is a bad idea and I'll have many more problems and others say it sounds like the best thing ever. I'm obviously in the positive camp or else I wouldn't have a giant Poly tank in the middle of my fish room right now.

Anyway, I want to try to get some info about the system now as a benchmark for the future so hopefully I can find out if this is a worthwhile change to recomend to others or if it isn't worth the 2 200g boxes of salt I'm about to dump into it.

Any thoughts on what and how? I was thinking of doing a temp test measuring how fast the tank will drop a degree if I unplug the heater at night with a certain basement and upstairs temp and humidity. Any other ideas?

I think you'll be surprised by the stability. I am using a 150 gal sump in an insulated room in the basement with a 65 gal fuge and 2 20 gal frag tanks. The sump has a 800 W finnex heater in it. It's been running for about 8 weeks. The temp variation is about 0.5F. It also heats the entire room. If I leave the door open there is an immediate (15 min) temp swing 1 to 1.5 degrees.

I'd also check pH -maybe around 4 pm before lights go out and first thing in the am before lights on.

Also stability of alkalinity, Sp Gr, Ca

Have fun!

TANK = 120g 4'?2'?2' peninsula display, basement 100g sump and 75g refugium + 425 sump coming soon.

The 425 is a closed container that will just hold water and nothing else. It will circulate back to the 100g stock tank. so when you figure in rock and sand and empty space I think it will be about 600g total water volume.

cindy it takes my system around an hr to raise 1 degree. with 1400 watts of heater. I cannot get it any higher than 77 at the moment. New heaters to go in soon.

Do you have anything insulated? Even wrapping several blankets over the sump might make a difference and if it does you can do something more perminent.

pink foam insulation

try pink foam insulation
you can get at home depot it comes in 4x8 sheets they come 1/2''-2'' thick
about $8-$12ea

Back