Black sand vs White Sand

Briko03

Non-member
I am about to start up a new system and I have always had your standard white sand (not sure the technical type) but I have been considering doing black sand in this system.

Are there any pros/cons for using black sand?

Pretty sure theres no advantages/disadvantages between the two, just personal preference. Black does appear to make the color of corals stand out a little better. I just recently switched to black and love it. One suggestion... blow as much crud & sand debris off your LR beforehand as doing it after may dirty up your black sand.

Pretty sure theres no advantages/disadvantages between the two, just personal preference. Black does appear to make the color of corals stand out a little better. I just recently switched to black and love it. One suggestion... blow as much crud & sand debris off your LR beforehand as doing it after may dirty up your black sand.

Didn't think of that, but makes sense. Thanks for the tip

Black will take away some of the shimmer most are use to seeing with Halides.

I like a mix of black and white, but it is a personal preference really. I find pure black or pure white, shows detritus too easily and is hard to keep looking good. Although I do really like the contrast of corals against black sand. I like white when a tank is new and clean, but it tends to loose it's appeal after that, but that's just my 0.02, most people seem to disagree with me I think LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all black is extremely difficult to keep all black imo... every little peice of rock that breaks off, or detritus, is gonna show up very easily... so if you want it to stay all black, its gonna be pretty tough, and you will have to keep up with it... GL

I thought black sand would look cool at first but when it got kicked up on my live rock I kept thinking I had some sort of infestation.

If you go black check out grey coast sand not sure of brand but I'm pretty sure some folks on here still are using it.
I like the look of that over the "black" sand and it is not magnetic

Back