Brown Groth on My Sand Bed

BeanniesDaDa

Non-member
In the last couple of day I have had an increase in a brown groth on my sand bed. Is it algee? I'll try to sanp a picture later tonight. Just wondering if its anything to be allarmed about. Thanks

Just a guess but this a new tank? If so you will go through many algea outbreaks in the first 6 months, it is normal.

It sounds like a diatom outbreak. You can syphon it out, increase skimming, more flow towards the affected area. But it will go away by itself.

Yeah, could be diatoms, could be cyanobacteria.
A little bloom in a new tank is normal. The suggestions above should work.

Won't hurt anything, except your eyes for a little while. Then it'll go away, and you'll never believe your sand had ever been so white!

It will eventually start to receed. It's just a fact of tank start up. Turning up the skimmer will take out more solids. However nature has to run it's course. You can't speed that up....we will try like hell though.

Moe_K said:
The suggestions above should work

unless you look at posts in reverse order, as I do. In wich case the suggestions are below ;)

Even in my 125g w/cycled rock I had a brown diatom bloom, just nature taking its slow time cycling your tank :D

i had a diatom bloom as well. try getting some critters that will continually stir the sand bed. they help with keeping the sand nice. you just have to wait.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back