BRS Club Lightmeter & Airmeter

Gina McReeferson

My sweet Baby David
For those interested, and unaware, the BRS has a meter for measuring PAR or "Photosynthetically Available Radiation", this is the stuff that makes your light thirsty corals grow. Only a small portion of visible light is useful for photosynthesis, so what you perceive as brightness does not necessarily translate directly into greater growth potential. Curious how your current bulbs are performing or how much of a difference that "upgrade" is going to make? This is the tool you need to lay down some concrete numbers that will let you know what's really going on in there. The sensor is waterproof so practical measurements can be taken "in" your tank (where it counts). This device is available for the use of all paid BRS members. There is currently a short list of interested members along which we are travelling in a geographical manner. If you are interested in adding your name to this list, check out this thread for the details...

http://bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92709

The thread linked to above is in the "BRS Business" forum (viewable only by paid members). Not a member? Go here to "fix" that...

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/payments.php

The BRS Air Meter is currently in the BRS library, you can "check it out" at a BRS monthly meeting (again, the library is for paid members only). There will be a deposit required in order to borrow the air meter from the library as it is a valuable item. You will be reimbursed for your deposit when you have returned the air meter to the library in the same working condition in which you borrowed it.

-Dave and Gina

Last edited:
Light meter

I would like to sign up for the meter, I'm in Attleboro, will be at meeting 12/13

Does anyone know what type of Light Meter (make/model) the BRS has? Along the same lines, any suggestions for a decent meter (good value vs. accuracy), if I were to buy one?

Thanks!
-Chris

I would like to jump in line for it. just trying to figure out how high I need to hang a 150 watt over the tank to get the same result as a 70 watt.

Does anyone know what type of Light Meter (make/model) the BRS has? Along the same lines, any suggestions for a decent meter (good value vs. accuracy), if I were to buy one?

Thanks!
-Chris

I would like to jump in line for it. just trying to figure out how high I need to hang a 150 watt over the tank to get the same result as a 70 watt.

If you would like to get on the light meter list or have a question regarding it, please post in this thread, and you will be helped. :)

Back