BTA removal

Jill & Brian

Reef Hiatus
I have a rose BTA that has moved to the one rock in my tank that has a number of encrusted corals. It has now started spreading out and stinging some of the orange digita I have on the top of the rock. What is the best way to get the anemone off of the rock. I tried placing the rock against the glass in hopes that it would move there, but it seems to like it better than before.

Any tips for BTA removal. I have heard of using ice close to the foot and pointing a powerhead directly on it. Just want to know a method or two that I can try tonight.

Thanks,
Brian

I tried pointing a power head at it. It splitt, turned into 3 anenomes, all still in the same place.
Best luck I've had is using a butter knife and prying the rock under the bta free from the rest of the rock. I've been able to cut away just a thin layer of rock, it's worked every time I've done it.

I am going to try the powerhead tonight. i have an extra MJ that I can use easily. I have another rock with some nice crevaces that the anemone should like (I hope)

Thanks,
Brian

put it in the darck or flip the rock over the bta will move too get back in the light sorry i cant spell lol o-well :D

Last edited:
I find it easier and faster just to take a knife or a flat head screwdriver and carefully scrape the rock that the foot is attach to. Just be careful not to slice the tissue.
The powerhead method takes forever and the ice method melt way too quickly. The more time you spend trying to remove it, the more you cause stress to the anemone.

Update

Well I finally got around to trying to remove my BTA last night. I decided to use the butter knife method. I was able to get under 90% of the anemone, but the edge of it's food was crammed into a crevace in the rock. I tried to get the edge of the foot out to no avail, and I think i ended up tearing the foot a little bit. It seemed ok this morning, but a little deflated. I hope I did not do much damage to it.

I put it back where it was to let it heal up and i will try again another day once the Anemone is feeling up to it. I think i am going to go with the powerhead method this time.

Very frustrating :(

Just watch it. If it dies you can have a big mess in your tank. One I damaged fouled the big bucket of water it was being transported in. Terrible smell too.

Back