BTA splitting?

wrennie

newly addicted!
I just got a BTA last sunday! So, initallyl he seemed to like the tank and attached and then moved a little bit and attached again. After this, I fed him and the next day he looked like he was splitting?! I think this was on thursday of this past week. We started seeing rock through his mouth and then just this morning he was split completely on one side. His mouth seems long somewhat straight and does not appear to be forming new mouths. He seems happy still, is inflated, two foots are distinguishable and attached.

So is this horizontal behavior normal in a split? how long does it usually take? should I feed him during this process?

any help is appreciated.......but i hope he is not dying!

Yup, that sounds about right. If he still looks happy, then I would assume he is splitting, not dying. BTW, BTAs are rather hardy. I needed to move one that was about to assault some coral and after being gentle for a few minutes, it got ugly. Real ugly. I wound up taking scissors to the thing to try and scrape him off the rock. After a couple minutes, I couldn't stand hurting it anymore and figured it was dead after I pretty much eviscrated the poor little guy. A day later it moved and regrew itself and is currently perfectly happy perched underneath some rock (away from my prying hands).

The splitting can take a few days. Hope that helps!

Eric

Here is a pic

Attachments

• rbta 018.jpg
    rbta 018.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 178
On the same subject. Our larger BTA is the size of a soup bowl. Will it keep growing or is a split on the way?

Back