CA Reactor Problem

Sorry the pics so small! How do you get such good size pics on this site. I just makes me resize and resize till it too little???!!! Ugg! another problem to fix!

Laura: save the pic as a JPEG (.jpg), not as a bitmap (.bmp)... that will compress it without the need to resize so much.

Nuno

Pic?

Here goes Nuno.....thanks

Attachments

• ca 001111.jpg
    ca 001111.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 158
That looks exactly like my Milwaukee regulator... the needle on the right doesn't seem stuck, but the pressure seems too low, it should be between 10 and 20 psi (the inside numbers on the grey scale).

Btw, I found that the bubble counter tends to leak a lot so you may want to tighten the cap on top, as well as the bubble counter itself (where it connects to the brass part at the bottom).

Nuno

Nuno, The needle will not move any higher than that no matter how much I turn the knob. The needle is resting against a little silver needle stopper. If I drop the pressure it will fall, if I increase the pressure it will stop right where you see it.

Strange, the needle stopper seems to be below the needle on the pic... can you crop that photo just to show the two gauges, and post it again (ie, same size, but showing just the gauges)?

Nuno

Nuno, I bet you think the two large silver circles is the stopper. It is not. The stopper is right on the "0". It is very small and hard to see. I have to wait for my son to come home to install a photo program for me. Until then I cannot crop. ;( I should be able to post a pic later this evening.

You're right, I was mistaking those silver circles for the stoppers... I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions now :(

Nuno

its possible that the gauge is no good or might be clogged, being clogged would be a good explanation of you fluctuating bubble count

What might had happened was you put too much pressure through the regulator and damaged the low pressure meter. I've made that mistake and caused my low pressure meter not to go back to 0 when there is absolutely no pressure. I contacted Milwaukee, and according to them, the regulator and needle valve should still be fine... except that you can not rely on the low pressure meter to make adjustment.
This is how I adjust mine; Close the needle valve (clockwise) completely. Turn the regulator off (counter clockwise) until the knob feel loose. Then turn the needle valve open (counter clockwise) for 180 degree (half turn). Don't forget to plug the cable into outlet to open the solenoid. Then slowly turn on the regulator (clockwise). Once you start having CO2 flow (bubbles), make finer adjustment with the needle valve.

Make sure that your effluent line is not submerge into the tank or the sump. If your reactor should ever run dry, you don't want to bubbles CO2 directly into your sump... yup I've made that mistake too.

Bidadari said:
What might had happened was you put too much pressure through the regulator and damaged the low pressure meter.

Now that I read that, it reminded me that there's a warning to that effect on the instructions for the Milkwaukee regulator... basically, it tells you that before attaching the regulator to the CO2 tank (ie, after a refill), the black knob must be completely loose in order to make sure that no CO2 will flow through to the second stage when you open the tank valve. They mention that having the knob turned in will damage the regulator... so maybe after the recent refill the knob wasn't completely loose?

Nuno

Bidadari, Are you saying the value is broken (valve on right) but still usable. Another words, I can adjust my pressure but I cannot get any readings with the needle?
That does seem to be the case, I made some adjustments to it yesterday and although the needle is stuck it has gone 24 hrs now with a constistant bubble count.
My PH is 6.7 (effluent)
Jim: This is your area, is it fixable? or should I replace it?
Thanks everyone for your replies. This hobby has become a "hands on" learning experience for me.
LauraD

Laura,

I wish you lived closer its frustating not to be more help and difficult to try to decipher the problem second hand. If you have not done this already and want to check the gauge, turn the regulator knob full CCW (its ok if it falls out), as the flow comes to a stop the gauge should move CCW an return to the "0" position, if it does not the gauge has a problem. It may be possible to repair the gauge, but more expedient for you to replace it.

Reading over this post I think it would be helpful to a lot of people if I were to write one of those "How does this work threads" that Mo and others have done such a great job with covering regulators, solenoid valves, needle valves, and the entire Co2 system. It is obvious that a fair amount of confusion exists on this topic.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Everyone has been very helpful. The main problem seems to be resolved.
Gustavo is coming by today and he will take a look at it for me.

Back