Calcium reactor or dosing pump

Alex

Non-member
I have a set of brs dosing pumps and a nice reef octopus calcium reactor with a carbon doser regulator. I'm trying to decide which on to set up on my new (to me at least) 180. I've had calcium reactors in the past which were both good and bad experiences but I've never just dosed. Funny thing is I always wanted a carbon doser regulator and now I have one but might not set it up.

Small tank(<100ga)=Doser
Large tank(>120gal)=reactor

I use both. The reactor never puts out enough magnesium. 1200ppm is a little low. I like it to be at least 1300ppm. 1400ppm is what I'm after.

The tank I'm setting up is a 180 (Twiddledogs old tank). The only reason I was thinking of doing dosers is some of the nicest tanks I have seen have been using dosers/balling method. I like the idea of being able to dial up whatever I want at any given time slowly and in an automated fashion. Also eyeing the DOS system.

What is it about dosing that is a limitation on larger tanks?

The master flex pump seems like a great idea but probably out of my price range in the short term. Do you think a BRS pump would be a better short term answer than the aqualifter pump I have right now?

In the past I have had two big issues with CRs. I had an issue keeping the line from clogging that caused one big tank emergency and another issue with a regulator that failed. Of course these were in the dark ages of reef keeping before I could get a text message telling me my PH had changed.

For me it would be the reactor. As was stated set it and forget it. I use a magnesium additive and have had little to no trouble maintaining my magnesium level at 1400. I've tried just about every imaginable way of maintaining Ca. The magic bullet for me was a reactor.

I'm sold reactor it is. Wish I could splurge on one of master flex pumps to feed it. Add it to the wish list.

The tank I'm setting up is a 180 (Twiddledogs old tank). The only reason I was thinking of doing dosers is some of the nicest tanks I have seen have been using dosers/balling method. I like the idea of being able to dial up whatever I want at any given time slowly and in an automated fashion. Also eyeing the DOS system.

What is it about dosing that is a limitation on larger tanks?

The master flex pump seems like a great idea but probably out of my price range in the short term. Do you think a BRS pump would be a better short term answer than the aqualifter pump I have right now?

In the past I have had two big issues with CRs. I had an issue keeping the line from clogging that caused one big tank emergency and another issue with a regulator that failed. Of course these were in the dark ages of reef keeping before I could get a text message telling me my PH had changed.

Alex,
There's no limitation for a dosing method as long as
1)You don't mind making the solution yourself often. For a small tank, not an issue. For a big tank, it can becomes a tedious chore. I have a 10 gallon tank that I sectioned off to three compartment for ALK, CA, MG which yield about 3 gallons each. At first, in my Elos 70(55gallons), I filled it every 12months. Moving to the 200gallons, it slowly drops to 6 months then every 3 months. At this point, I'm pretty busy and making the solutions becomes more like a nuisance.
2)The more you dose, the more salinity you putting into the tank. Easily remedied by taking a cup or two of tank water to rinse out your food and let your ATO fills it back up with freshwater. Minor detail like this will have your salinity shoot up to noticeable level and your corals will not like it.
3)High PH. The more you dose, the higher the PH will be. However, this depends on the environment where the tank is. If the tank is in an enclosed room and suffer from low PH, it will be beneficial. However, if it's in an open floor plan, the PH will be high. Mine was in the 8.5-8.6 at the highest cycle.
4)Cost. It will cost you quick a bit for a larger tank

For a CA reactor, I would only run it with a Masterflex continuous peristaltic pump and an electronic controlled regulator like an Aquarium Plant. Any issue with these two components and you'll head out the reefing door pretty quickly. You can get the Masterflex at pretty reasonable price if you look around.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much. That was a really helpful post.

I did some research on the masterflex pumps. From what I read I want a brushless model as my sump is currently under my tank. These seem to run a pretty penny. Not sure how true this is but from what I read the prices have increased pretty dramatically on the used ones since reefers like us started using them.

I do have some time though. Since I'm starting with no corals it is going to be a bit until my demand gets real high. I think the plan is to use the aqualifter pump and run it pretty wide open at a higher PH.

The thing about calcium reactor is the head pressure of the effluent line once it became clogged up with calcium carbonate. Over time, your effluent rate will drop and you will have a hard time tuning it up to where you want. Not saying that it's impossible. Many people have it without a Masterflex. But the Masterflex is very precise and high pressure head. It come pump water around the block if you really want to. Send a PM to Greg Hiller. He may have one available. You definitely want a controllable flow rate one.

Running at the higher rate and higher PH helps with the clogging. Biggest drawback is you use more CO2 and it can lower the tanks PH.

>In the past I have had two big issues with CRs. I had an issue keeping the line from clogging that caused one big tank emergency and another issue with a regulator that failed<

Having the reactor under pressure helps a lot here. Also if you can restrict the flow back into the tank with something other than a needle valve. My reactor is enormous and I just use a piece of tubing with a plastic screw clamp on it.

Not to hijack a thread, but can someone comment about the space required to use a doser v a CA? It seems that the CA takes a lot of big hardware.

Personally, I don't have a back room to hold things, and I already have a 30gal sump in the stand below the 75 gal tank. If I did a CA, it seems I would need to build something next to the tank to hide it. I do plan on building a small structure that will hide a Rubbermaid bin (about 20 gal) to hold water for an ATO. I was thinking that I could make it a tad bigger to hold 2 1 gallon jugs for 2 part for the doser (or just put them in the Rubbermaid bin with the topoff water). I am curious how people solved the problem of hiding all of this either in a sump or separate furniture structure near the display. Pictures would be very help.

DAG

Doser takes more space due to the holding supplement reservoir. The larger the tank, the larger the reservoir will need to be otherwise you'll be constantly filling it up yourself.
CA reactor size is fixed.

I like to use cabinets to organize the tank equipment.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back