Can I use a Plexi glass in my sump??

A word of warning, use a laminate bit for your router with a guide bushing and run it along a straight edge and you should have no troubles at all, it you do it free hand it tends to walk alot...

Good luck and watch those fingers!!!

Also, it's never safe to run stock between the fence and the cutter on a router table. One direction it's likely to kick back and hit you in the nuts. Feed stock the other way, and it's likely to grab and yank your hand into the cutter.

It's best to cut or break the acrylic about 1/4" oversize and then attach a straightedge to the workpiece with double-stick carpet tape, and use a flush-cutting bearing guided bit in the router table to make a nice straight smooth cut.

Finished

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help with my questions. I ended up using a skill saw with carbide blade to cut the plexi. Everything came out perfect. I was just going to cut the piece of plexi (4'x4') down to a portion with the skill saw and then put it on my table but the skill saw cut beautifully. Chopped up all the pieces and glued it in with the GE silicone II. Looks good to me. Thanks Again-

31182DCP_0900.jpg

NateHanson said:
Also the size of the blade. a 10" saw with a 3/16" wide blade will sink and dissipate much more heat than a 6" 3/32" wide skil saw blade. And a cooler blade seems to be key for acrylic.

/Thread Hijack

I've got a tile saw at home, that has a water jet to keep the blade cool. Do you guys think this sort of thing would be useful?

/End Hijack

damn RC heres my pics:

Attachments

• DCP_0900.jpg
    DCP_0900.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 162
  • DCP_0903.jpg
    DCP_0903.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DCP_0905.jpg
    DCP_0905.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 148
Nice job with the glue, not alot of mess. I think you will need to widen the teeth on your baffles. Let us know how it works.

nice sump

It looks good!! Reminds me of the one that didn't fit under my stand after I made it. That was a fun day :mad:

I was able to retrofit my wet dry to do the same job, so all was not lost :)

-Brian

Attachments

• sumpnotfit.jpg
    sumpnotfit.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 174
Good thing for me that I have yet to build my stand. Ill be sure to build it large enough to hold my sump. The teeth came out alittle small but since they are only meant to have water cascade down into the return area from the refuge I am not really worried. The worse thing that could happen is I have to cut the piece out and widen the teeth...no biggie. Next thing to do is drill my 75 for drain and return lines and install a black acrylic/plexi overflow box; SHOULD BE FUN!

Back