Can red turf algae be isolated and contained?

peg

BRS Member
i've had some red turf algae crop up in my seahorse tank. so far, it's been on small, insignificant rocks or frag plugs so i have simply removed them. i still have 2 rocks in the tank that have it, but the rocks aren't touching any other rocks nearby.
can this stuff jump around? or will it stay isolated on the rock? one of the rocks has a huge zoa colony on it--will the red turf algae infringe on it or kill it? any advice would be great, before it gets out of hand. thanks!

peg

If conditions are right, it can/will spread.

I've had success in the past with Mexican Turbo snails consuming it

If possible pull rocks and clean the outside of the tank. We are on the end of a severe red algae outbreak that almost made me brake down the tank. Also lost most coral.

Ugh I do not want to break down this tank. The turf is growing into the zoas. Should I sacrifice the parts of the colony that are on the rocks with the turf? This is a colony about the size of a salad plate and it spans 3 separate rocks. I think the rocks on with end both have the turf.

I have 2 other small standalone rocks that have it. One of them has zoas on it also.. I think the snails are spreading it. I'll have to scrape them more often I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull the rocks and treat with hydrogen peroxide. Google the method. I have not done it myself, but was close to doing it to eradicate a lobophora outbreak. I ended up buying a naso tang instead, but h202 looks solid.

...stupid auto correct

Following along. I have a tiny patch of green I can't reach with a tooth brush and its on a rock I cant pull. :-(

I've had all kind of algae in the tank, battled them with various success with peroxide, scrubbing, etc; as soon as I was done with one something else wold show its ugly head.
Installed an algae scrubber and now my tang is starving from having nothing to eat but the pellets I feed.

Yes this works

QUOTE=choff;1247899]Pull the rocks and treat with hydrogen peroxide. Google the method. I have not done it myself, but was close to doing it to eradicate a lobophora outbreak. I ended up buying a naso tang instead, but h202 looks solid.

...stupid auto correct[/QUOTE]

Back