Casters: It's about mobility

JavaJones

Non-member
Hope this isn't too crazy, but here's something I'm contemplating. I want to put my 75G on casters. This means reinforcing the solid wood stand I bought recently and using casters that can support about 400lbs each (1,600lb total using 4). Of course I would want any sharp movements, so I'll get the kind with brakes/locks, etc. It also means that all the rocks have to be better secured than they currently are...

So here's my question: the casters that meet my requirements come in at about $30 - 40 each at Home Depot...any suggestions for cheaper solutions? I plan to begin this project when I return home in about a week's time. So I can order them off the web in the meantime.

Also, is anything else I should think about for my mobile reef?

Last edited:
I see more downsides than upsides to this plan. To you really want to be able to move your tank around? Clownfish really don't like to go for walks. I would hope your whole floor is very level for one thing because being unlevel will stress the tank seams.

Thanks: Level floors! I did not think that through...just assumed it... My main goal in making the tank mobile is to get it as close as possible to the wall (given my space constraints) and then to move it out easily when I want to adjust plumbing, perform maintenance tasks, etc. Essentially, I don't see myself doing much travel ;-)

What about water sloshing while you're moving the tank?
I have a lil' 5 gal tank that sits on a kitchen counter for now.
I have to pull the tank forward to change the filter pad thingee.
When I move the tank water sloshes a bit.

I'd be most concerned about the even support of the tank changing very quickly as you move the tank. If you're on a wood floor, I think it's unlikely that it's level enough and stiff enough to maintain the exact pressure on all 4 casters as you move it around. I think those repeated shifts of support under the tank would stress it terribly when full.

Another concern to be aware of is that when casters are pushed they swivel to point away from the direction of travel. That put's their center of support (the axle of the wheel) a few inches behind their mounting point. If that mounting point is a couple inches away from the edge of your stand, that could move the center of support dangerously close to the center of gravity, so when you're pushing it it may have a potential to topple! So be very careful in how you think it out, and when you move it.

Finally, I think you'll want "double locking" casters, that lock both the wheel and the swivel mechanism. Typical casters only lock the wheel. You could look in the Grizzly Catalog for these casters. I expect they'll have what you're looking for, and the prices are very likely a bit lower.

nate

It sounds like for his application he wants wheels, not necessarily casters. In other words, the offset swivel mounting Nate describes may not be needed. JavaJones just wants to be able to roll the thing out from the wall and back. I'd agree with Nate that casters generally have some stability issues, though perhaps some could be found that would work here. But in any case I'd investigate wheels rather than casters.

Nate's point about the effective footprint of the stand being reduced is a very good one. Even without the caster swivel effect wheels would likely be mounted such that the points where they hit the ground are inboard of the stand perimeter. A 75G tank isn't particularly wide as it is, so losing a couple of inches of stand width (front to back) doesn't sound great to me.

The sloshing Moe describes is mostly because you need to apply a fair amount of force to overcome the static friction of the tank at rest. That would likely be much lower for a tank on a stand with wheels under it. This is a guess though. The wheels and floor would have to be very hard for me to be right. Sloshing might still be an issue. Still, there are techniques for how you apply the force to get the tank moving that can minimize sloshing.

Sounds like a neat idea though, if you can find a way to make it work.

--cn

In about a week's time, I'll post my final design/photos. To deal with the casters and center of gravity issues to which Nate calls our attention, I will use _wheels_ for the back set (perhaps even 3 wheels) and offset the front casters a little. And, yes, I'll be sure to look for the double-locking kind. (Thanks to Nate and Conrad for their feedback here). In addition, I will add a small 6-inch shelf which will protrude from the back of the stand just about the wheels. That will be a minor shift of the center of gravity in the right direction. Also, I will remove the canopy to lower the center of gravity a little whenever I move the tank.

Now, sch1013's link (http://www.shepherdhardware.com/Pages/Catalog/appcastroll.html) is intriguing and I will pursue (taking into account AHA24's plainly worded caution). Appliance rollers (item 9603 on the linked page) certainly seem robust enough.

For the sloshing of water issue: I think (or, more truthfully, hope) that wheels themselves coupled with very slow acceleration (no 0-60 mph records will be set here) may mitigate the turbulance (on the other hand, if it fails and there's considerable water motion, I have to patent the method as a competitor for tunze pumps). Depending on the final strengthening of the structure, a well-attached handle in the front may allow for controlled pulling of the structure forward.

Delta's link shows how big a project it is to move a tank across a room in a one-time move. That move clearly involved good planning and was successful. I would that I had but one move to make; however, something always seems require that I get to the back of the tank...

Last edited:
The shelf on the back will help when pushing the tank back into place, but you'll still have to be very careful when pulling it forward, that you don't topple it on yourself. That could really ruin your day (ie kill you). If you put a handle on the front of the stand for pulling, put it as close to the floor as possible.

Frankly I'd be really nervous about this, but it's simply a matter of personal comfort.

Nate

Back