catastrophy

Do you need a heater?
I've heard horror stories with heaters, so for that reason, I don't use one. My lights and pumps keep my tank temp 8-10? warmer than the ambient room temp... so no need for one.

well i have always had one due to the fact i have central air in my house and the vent is fairly close to the tank. The one I currently have has a turnoff supposedly, but apparently it didn't or doesn't work. I guess I could try not having one before I put in new fish.

MarkO said:
Do you need a heater?
I've heard horror stories with heaters, so for that reason, I don't use one. My lights and pumps keep my tank temp 8-10? warmer than the ambient room temp... so no need for one.

How do you know your temperature doesn't drop too far when your lights are off?

I keep an eye on a digital thermometer. My tank is a 150 with a 20 gal sump, so it takes a while for the temp to drop after the lights go off. With my room temp at 70, my tank temp peaks out at about 80.0? at lights off (11pm) and drops to about 76.5? at lights on (10 AM). So during the night, I know the tank temp is slowly cooling off about 1/3 of a degree every hour.

One thing to watch out for with that system is that you can have a low temp disaster as easilly as a high temp one. Think door blowing open on a cold night or broken window.

Tiffany, this is a real bummer. I definitely think you had a heat spike though yesterday. If you suspect 85 degrees you probably were hotter than that. That's just what it sounds like to me. The outside temperature in our towns was 87 yesterday! With a glass cover and lights on, I really think this did your tank in.

What lights are you running over that tank? Was the AC on yesterday?

I don't suspect your heater was the problem, unless you have specific reason to think that it didn't turn off or is physically broken. Much more likely yesterday that your tank just overheated.

Sorry to hear it. If you have any fish still left in the tank I'd do a water change, and then start restocking when all nutrients have been zero for a week. In the meantime you should pay very close attention to your tank temps during the day. A recording thermometer is probably a very good investment if you aren't home during the day. AA has one that will report max and min temperatures for $20.

I think you might want to replace the glass covers with screen or egg-crate (white plastic mesh used to cover fluorescent ceiling fixtures).

Nate

~Flighty~ said:
One thing to watch out for with that system is that you can have a low temp disaster as easilly as a high temp one. Think door blowing open on a cold night or broken window.

Yes Cindy... very true indeed. Something I never really considered even though I think I remember hearing of this happening to someone. Hopefully I'll be home if a window/door is left open, but if not, my thermostat will keep the heat going and you will all be able to thank me for heating the outdoors :eek:

Hey Nate.. it seems like everyones main concensus is heat spike. It was very hot indeed in our area, so I think it just did everything in. I didn't have the air conditioner on, which usually I do and that helps the possible spike. I will def look into the thermometer at AA. My perc is still hanging in there..and the hermits are fine, of course they're the cheapest! I don't think it was a heater problem since i haven't noticed anything weird going on. I am def going to replace the top glass with screening or something. I still just have the NO double light, will that be alright over the screenign or egg crate? I know they're not suppose to be over completely open water....

And yes this is a real bummer!!

Back