CBB is Freaking Out in New Tank!

starrfish

Non-member
Ok, so I finally get all of my fish over to the 350. I was so excited - I thought they were all going to be so happy. Everyone is...except my CBB. She has been freaking out since I put her in the tank. She stays in one corner and swims up and down with her nose in the corner - like she's trying to escape. She's only eaten once in 2 days. This is my favorite fish. I've had her for about a year. I don't want to remove her from the tank because I think it will cause even more stress. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior with these fish? Is she just too sensitive for a big move like this? Is she doomed? :(

Could it be a reflection issue? Mine swimms up and down in one area of the tank sometimes if the lighting conditions are right. Try putting a light on outside of the tank near there.

Could it still be her reflection? You might be able to put something between her and the acrylic

Good thought Cindy. I tried to hang a piece of egg crate, but it just blew around. Have any ideas on what to put in there??

OMG - Cindy I think you're right! I just turned the moonlights off on that side of the tank and she's cruising across the tank now - the first time in two days! Now how the hell do I stop her during the day? What can I put there to fake her out?? You are the CBB Queen! :D

You can try my favorite reef accessory, Craft mesh! You can get it in black so it won't show up too much and it shouldn't be long until alge and coraline grow enough that she stops freeking out.

Cindy - how the hell would I attach it? I have two returns from my OM on that wall so everything blows away from the wall. It's very funny now...she cruises around and then goes back to the corner - like she doesn't believe the "other one" is gone. I hope I can come up with a solution - I love this fish.

It is the back wall? can you prop rocks up against it? maybe a dab or two of superglue that you could scrape off later?

I'll bet she'll be more comfortable in her new home in a couple days, and she'll stop being hypersensitive to stimuli like the reflection. I think you probably just have to block the reflection in that corner for a day or two.

Thanks for the suggestions - I think you're right Nate - I think I just need to distract her for a couple of days. Cindy, it's in the front corner of the tank. I can't really pile rocks there because I'm afraid to scratch the acrylic. think I'm going to try to put a very large pvc pipe in that corner to see if I can distract her. It won't be pretty, but hopefully it will work. Thanks again...I'll let you know if it works.

You could also try putting something over the corner of the tank to shade out that corner.

You won't believe it but it worked!! I put a big fat piece of pvc in the corner - she (or he?) is still interested, but not going nuts like she was before. She's actually swimming around the tank now. AND she ate for the first time in 2 days!!! Thanks so much for the suggestions Cindy - you saved my most prized fish.

I'm so happy. Wish me luck on introducing mine to a mate for the second time. First time I think I had two of the same sex. I have a new one in the fuge getting fat and comfortable before I try introducing them.

Back