Chaeto start up question

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
When starting to grow Chaeto, how long do you keep light on…..I realize I’d keep it on an opposite lighting schedule of DT once it’s going. But what about when you first introduce Chaeto? My nitrates are ridiculously high. 60’s. .1 phosphate
I feed once a day
All other parameters are good…..0 nitrites/0 ammonia
Tanks been up since December

I’d like to do the Chaeto thing before I start dosing NoPox or drinking..I mean dosing vodka/vinegar

I have 2 clumps of Chaeto and a Refugium light. I threw in some pods last night.

I used to have the light go on in my refuge/Chaeto section as soon as my lights went off and vice versa. Make sure you have decent flow going through it and it should do its thing!

I used to have the light go on in my refuge/Chaeto section as soon as my lights went off and vice versa. Make sure you have decent flow going through it and it should do its thing!
Even when just starting? I thought maybe I’d have to have the light on extra

With cheato I’d bring it right on full steam. I wouldn’t worry about shocking the cheato or the system. It can only start sucking up nutrients as quickly as it can grow.

You certainly could run it extra hours initially to get it going more quickly if you wanted to try that.

With cheato I’d bring it right on full steam. I wouldn’t worry about shocking the cheato or the system. It can only start sucking up nutrients as quickly as it can grow.

You certainly could run it extra hours initially to get it going more quickly if you wanted to try that.
Ok..I think that’s what I will do. The only flow it has for now is the flow from the drain to the return pump. It’s right in the middle

IIRC cheato likes good flow, but should be fine in less. You can always try adding a small powerhead in your ref to stir it more.

It's probably fine without the powerhead if that's being a PITA. Cheato is pretty robust assuming it has nutrients to absorb.

Back