Cleaner Shrimp has eggs

KristyM

Non-member
Just noticed that my cleaner shrimp has eggs, Does anyone know anything about raising these little shrimp once they hatch?

My cleaner shrimps lay eggs pretty often too.. From what I researched, its extremely difficult to raise them...

I've tried with no success a few times. From what I've read and have seen.
They are real fragile. They need the S strain Rotifers, When the eggs turn tan and blend into the cleaners body, and you shine a light and see the sliver shine of their eyes they are ready to hatch. Did I say they are fragile. LOL Good luck, Let us all know how you do if you tray and raise them.

Cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) are difficult.
Developing a daily routine of harvesting artemia,water changes etc is key.

The first issue is collecting the larvae. This can be done by
moving the shrimp to another tank
or using a larval catch system like this.
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=7104
Moving the shrimp can be difficult.

This article is available on line and is helpful. I believe you can use Baby brine shrimp as
a first food.

Broodstock and Larval Nutrition of
Marine Ornamental Shrimp
Junda Lin, Dong Zhang and Andrew L. Rhyne

These article you may be able to get at a local university library.
Effect of different diets on larval production, quality and fatty acid profile of the marine ornamental shrimp Lysmata amboinensis (de Man, 1888), using wild larvae as a standard.

Experimental studies on the effect of food in early larvae of the cleaner shrimp Lysmata amboinensis (De Mann, 1888) (Decapoda: Caridea: Hippolytidae).Detail Only Available By: Cunha, Luís; Mascaro, Maite; Chiapa, Xavier; Costa, Ana; Simoes, Nuno. Aquaculture, May2008, Vol. 277 Issue 1/2, p117-123, 7p; DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.02.014

I have had cleaner shrimp hatch the same night as my clown eggs, caught and moved them into my rotifer/clown fry tank. They lasted quite awhile on rots. and then I think the clown fry finish them off. Never tried to take them any further than the couple of weeks they survived that way.

Back