Cleaning barrels for RO/DI water storage

Technorch

BRS Member
I just bought 2 blue food grade barrels that were used for coffee beans.

How would I clean these?

Should I use bleach/vinegar or just one of them?

Should I leave them with either bleach or vinegar for some days or can I just wash them and use them right away?

never mix bleach with anything.use bleach and hot water for few days and then rinse and fill with clean water and flush them out after a day or so and wait till you cant smell bleach.but if they are really just been barrels fill and add one gallon vinegar then rinse with bacon soda and the smell will be almost gone

Last edited:
I did the diluted bleach for a few days then straight water for a few days after that. Like Sumpmonkey mentioned keep flushing until you cannot smell bleach (or coffee beans).

How much bleach should I use for the 55g? Basically let's say I'll put "X" amount of bleach in the barrel, sill it up with water and let it sit a couple of days and then rinse it completely. Do the same again until there's no more smell right?

yes you need to wait till you can not smell the bleach and that could take a long time depending on air circulation in the barrel.

Coffee beans are very oily.IMO wash it out with soapy water,rinse well then do the recommendations mentioned.

Back