Clear jelly in low flow area of sump

Reefer508

BRS Member
In my newest tank, a cadlights 125 5 foot rimless, I've been getting a clear jelly that forms on the surface of the 2 low flow chambers of the sump. This will build up in 3 or 4 days. This has been ongoing, off and on, since tank was started November 2019. Sand bottom with cured live rock. No algae problem in this tank at all, no hair, bubble, turf, bryopsis, cyano, or diatoms. No macro algae running in this tank, just some rubble rock in refugium section of sump. Also run a UV sterilizer that I'm guessing I should replace the bulb on, about year old now.
I stopped using carbon because canister would clog with the slime.
I was using filter socks but switched to a roller mat, no real change.
Minimal coral in this tank right now, but is growing.
Good coralline growth on rock and back wall.
Foxface, Sailfin, Flame angle, Filefish doing fine as well as hermits, snails and shrimp.
20-30 Gallon WC every 2 weeks
Alk 9.3
Cal 475
Mag 1400
No3 3
Po4 .03

I asked my wife to stop using air fresheners in the house thinking that may be causing it. It's been 3 weeks since she used any but still getting jelly.
My guess is bacteria is causing this, but don't know where its coming from.
Should I stop WC's for a month or more?
Maybe add a powerhead to keep water moving in sump?
Any ideas would be appreciated,
Thanks

I agree that bacteria are a prime suspect. I have seen jelly issues like that when dosing too much vinegar. Are you doing any form of carbon dosing? I think other suspects could be a worms, snails, fish or corals - I have seen all those things shed a lot of slime, although not continuously like you are describing.

No type of carbon dosing at all, just using ESV 2 part. I did have a few Aptasia and I added the filefish, a peppermint shrimp and a 5 berghia nudi back in August. The aptasia are gone, I haven't seen the nudi's for over a month and am assuming they are dead. But I was getting this jelly before then.

Back