clown fish fed his anemone

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
As usual, I was trying to feed the BTA hosting my big maroon clown fish. I accidentally drop the big piece of raw seafood in the tank and missed the anemone. The clown fish picked up the meat and swim up to the BTA then put the meat into the BTA's mouth. Then the clown fish stood guard and fended off other fish an shrimps that tried to steal a piece of meal from the BTA. waaaooo

Isn't that really cool? My gold striped maroon clown fish does the same thing. He tends to eat the small pieces that float his way, but the larger ones he brings back to his anenome! I was definitely psyched when I saw that as well. :)

I've got a pair of perculas that adopted a LTA, which was neat to watch them adopt over the course of a week. They would stick their heads in a little farther each time, and shoot back, I assume building up a resistance? Took them a couple months, but I noticed as well that they seem to know the difference between shrimp chunks and their normal food. If I drop in their normal foods, they really don't share at all that I can see, but if I drop in a piece of shrimp, they'll grab it, and intentionally bring it to the anemone, and very obviously not bother trying to eat it. They'll even fight off the cleaner shrimp for it. I have them in a tank here on my computer desk, and get a kick out of the fact how addicted they are to it like a drug... ALL day long they are either rolling in it, or sucking on the tenticles, must be a tough life ;) They also seem to clean up after it when it excretes any refuse and dump it away from it, so I guess they do some work to earn their keep ;)

-Mike

My Maroon Clown does the same thing if I drop a larger piece of anemone food while feeding he will pick it right up and bring it to the anemone then stand guard to fend off anything looking for a nibble.

Jim

My false percs must be dumb! They don't bring anything to their anemone. I make sure I get the hunks of shrimp/fish right in its mouth otherwise it floats away - right past the percs!

My false percs pair never feed their anemone either. Only the Maroon clown does. Maroons are bigger and must be smarter. Dumb Nemo. :)

LOL, I thought mine were pretty dumb because my percs adopted an LTA, which I heard was something they tend not to like. I had to move it the other day since it decides to go on little excursions around the tank occasionally, and the little "addicts" chased the thing around the tank as I moved it away from the filter intake.

-Mike

Back