Clown Fry and Rose Anenomes

DEIGNAN14

BRS Member
My pair of black ice clowns just started laying eggs. I have rotifers on the way and I am cramming before they hatch. Need some guidance on extracting the eggs/fry from my show tank safely. They are stuck to one of the larger show pieces which happens to have 4 roses on it. I am building an acrylic box to slide over this piece on hatch night to contain the fry and limit exposer to predators while I sleep.

The rose they are closest two now seems to be cooperating with the parents to protect the eggs.

Anyone know if the roses will eat the fry when they hatch? My guess is no, but I know roses and clowns dont typically coexist in the wild.

I ask because whether I remove the eggs or siphon after they hatch they are going to be exposed to the nems.

Also, anyone know typically how long it will take the entire batch of eggs to hatch? Trying to understand how long I would need to sit there and siphon if thats what I end up doing.

Any help or tips is greatly appreciated.

The eggs will hatch at lights out probably somewhere between 8-10 days after being laid. The night they hatch shut down all pumps/air stones at lights out so the tank is as still as possible. Hold a flashlight at the top of the tank and the fry will be attracted to the light and will come to the top of the tank. I found a pint glass to work perfectly for sucking the fry in, submerge all but the opening of the pint glass in to the water and when the fry come up tip the edge of the glass under water and it will suck them in. Dont worry about getting all of them, there will be hundreds, plenty to raise. Submerge the pint glass in to a tank with a super high concentration of rotifers (A must have is a sieve for the rotifers to separate them from the green water), do not pour them. It usually took me 8-10 pint glasses to capture the majority of fry from a hatch, the cleaner shrimp got most of the others. Raise a ton of rotifers, you will need them. Also, water changes will be very important. Wrapped the outside of the tank to block the light, and filter any light you put over the tank to dull it down, I found too much light to be bad.

Last edited:
Back