Clown Goby Hosting???

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
Anyone ever heard of other fish hosting in anemones? My wife was home from work today and noticed our little clown goby hanging out with our anemone…Here is a photo.

photo.JPG

Sure he is ok? I mean, are you sure the nem isn't eating him? I've definitely seen nems eat larger fish than that.

Yep the BTA is not even paying attention to him it seems like he is trying to teach my clown fish (who by the way could care less for the anemone)

We will keep an eye on the Goby for sure though. I may even encourage him to try to find a new home, normally he hands on my hammerhead magnet most of the day.

I had one that would sit on my acans and had to banish it to my sump. It would nip at them when they extended feeders causing it to stay retracted all the time.

Our green clown goby definitely sits on our toadstool mushroom and freaks him out. He'll pull his tentacles/polyps in where the goby is, but the Goby is almost hidden with all the other tentacles still up around him. Then I come back later to see the goby-sized depression in the middle of the toadstool.

I wouldn't be concerned with corals (unless there is nipping from the fish of course) but nems on the other hand I wouldn't trust with a fish that small. I watched my carpet eat 2 percula clowns who just tried to do the natural thing.

I do know that carpets are one of the more aggressive nems but any nem is capable of doing it.

The carpet in question here also has a mandarin, Blenny, couple of damsels, and 2 small tangs that I am aware of under his belt.

Back