Clownfish finally laid eggs. Need help in preparing for hatches

eaxxx

Non-member
I came on this forum originally for help with setting up my first saltwater tank. Now almost two years later, my pair of common clownfish have finally laid some eggs in my established tank. They placed their eggs on the underside of a coconut shell, exactly the place I was hoping for.

The male has been been tending the eggs and mama has been doing her thing. I'm pretty sure today is either day 1 or 2.

From what I've read, it takes between 8-9 days to hatch. They will turn translucent and the the developing eyes will reflect light once they are close to hatching.

Should I let the parents take care of them after hatching or should I pull them out and hatch them in a fish breeding box? Also anyone have recommendations on clownfish fry starter food? I've read rotifers are best. My main place to buy food is Tropical Isle in Framingham.

Any advice from other clownfish lovers greatly appreciated!

Best to start a rotifer culture which will require a phyto culture to keep the rotifers alive. I was going to start trying to raise clowns and still might but it's a lot of work as you'll need several tanks and lots of water changes to keep water parameters in check.

Back