clownfish question

ahmer1781

Non-member
Is there a reason people prefer one type of clownfish over another? Is it easier to keep a certain type? I really like the black clownfish but it seems a lot of people have the standard ocellaris.

they are all ......just as hardy ....when they are tank bred ...................just some clowns are pricier than others and the standard clowns are the cheapest ....so most times i think people just go with standard ones

Different color morphs of the same species are the same to care for, it's just a matter of cost and personal preference.

If you are asking about different species then it gets a little more complex. Maroons are very much more aggressive than most others for example. Ocellaris tend to be slightly more hardy than true percs, but overall true percs and ocellaris are very similar to deal with. As for the many other sp of clowns I can't really say off the top of my head but I know that there are plenty of variables in terms of care and behavior.

Also some will buy a particular species due to their natural host anemone. Maroons and tomatos are common and will host a BTA and among a few others (both can be aggressive as noted above). Occellaris and Percs naturally host Gigs and Magnificas (Ritteri) and can adapt to a BTA (but not always). Clarkii will host in all available hosting anemones but can be aggressive compared to a occy or perc.

Back