Clowns Hosting Under RBTA

jackie

Non-member
Well, as opposed to hosting on top of the RBTA. So what's up with these clowns??? Could it be they're afraid it's going to eat them? (I've seen a post here about that). I have a green BTA and a RBTA and feed them both once a week with silversides. It's the RBTA they host under, has anyone seen that before?

Last edited:
I have seen it before, they will probably move into it eventually, but my clowns like to host under my flowbar, and dont yet go near the RBTA, so you are 1/2 way there !

Under your flowbar? That's pretty funny, goobers. They'll host in just about anything BUT. Oh well seems like they're happy they way they are, some day they'll wake up and smell the roses....sorry, that was a bad pun:D

Clowns go through an "acclimation" period where they build up tolerance/mucous in order for them to truly bed down in an anemone. My false percs did the same thing in my frogspawn. They would start from under the spawn and eventually worked their way up the sides, and into the coral where they stayed...till I got rid of the coral.

I'm still waiting for them to take up shop in my green BTA. *sigh*

I'd forgotten about the mucous coating part, though I've had them for quite some time. They'll host the green one but they're more shy with the rose, maybe because it's twice the size of the green one?

Good luck with your clowns! Mine found them by accident. I fed the tank one day with a turkey baster and aimed it at the BTA and clowns went to it, rubbed against it, swam away and stopped dead in the water and zipped back to the BTA, from then on it was home sweet home. They started out on top of the RBTA but decided it was better underneath...

This is true. They also secrete a fluid i beleive that basically lets the Item (RTA) know they aren't food. This is how they can host in carpets... At least I think.. anyone know more about this please correct me if im wrong.

JustDavidP said:
Clowns go through an "acclimation" period where they build up tolerance/mucous in order for them to truly bed down in an anemone. My false percs did the same thing in my frogspawn. They would start from under the spawn and eventually worked their way up the sides, and into the coral where they stayed...till I got rid of the coral.

I'm still waiting for them to take up shop in my green BTA. *sigh*

I forgot I took this picture, here are the clowns under the RBTA...it was the 1st picture I took with the new Canon last weekend

Attachments

• clowns.jpg
    clowns.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 164
Yeah, the coraline is almost stealing the show.....I don't know what to think about those two clowns. They get along well and never fight, maybe that's a bad sign?

Back