Cold sand, warm heart?

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
Just a quick observation and some questions. The refugium in the basement has a dsb, but I don't see too much life in the sand. If I touch the glass at the sand level it is very cold (basement temp) but the glass at water level is warm (tank temp).

I understand why, but is this just happening near the glass? Is the whole dsb this way? Anyone else notice this? Should I do something?

You could probably help your DSB's temp out by placing the tank on or even wrapping it in some sort of insulative material like a blanket would help keep some heat in the sand.

Not an aquarium expert, but it works on my hot water heater ;)
M.

Cindy,

I had the same concerns/problems with my DSB in the fuge/sump in my basement. I did probe the sand and found that after the first 3 inches (on the front pane of the fuge) the temps dropped dramatically. In the center, and on the other three sides NOT exposed to lots of air flow, but pressed against the wood of the stand, the temp did not drop much at all.

I also noted more activity in the sand on the protected sides and not tunnels etc. in front. I was concerned and took action. I bought one of those reptile, stick on, heaters that people use to heat the sand in their snake tanks etc. They heat to about 80 degrees. I stuck it on the front pane, well below the three inch mark, and after a day or two, measured temps again. They were much better.

However, after three months with this heater strapped on, I noted no change in sand activity in that same area. Because I already burn enough electricity and was also nervous about a heater NOT meant to be near water, capped off with the fact that I saw no benefit from its use, I disconnected and removed it. Again, a month later, no difference; positive or negative.

Dave

Back