cold water tank?

pantinor

Non-member
Anyone keep a cold water tank with specimens from the local waters? I am curious. Went diving this morning out at Gloucester stagefort beach and saw some amazing crabs, snails, flounders, shrimps, lobsters, green urchins, sea robin, toad crab, etc. Even saw some coralline on a kelp rock. Last time I brought back a batch of the amphipods from the shore to try and breed them in my basement, they didnt last too long, maybe the water has to be in the 50s and 40s to keep them alive.

There's a few threads in here on native tanks - try searching for "GOM" (Gulf of Maine).

I keep a shallow water temperate tank, mostly stuff from estuaries, salt marshes, and inshore areas on the south side of the cape - they can handle a slightly higher temp range, so I don't use a chiller (my basement usually stays in the 60's during the summer).
In the past I've kept local wrasses (Tautogolabrus adspersus, often called cunner), assorted killiefishes, shrimps, bristleworms, snails, and the occasional puffer.
Alot of the fish I find when I go collecting are protected species (gamefish) and must be released immediately (unless you have room for a 12" two+ pound seabass !).

For the stuff you see in deeper waters (and further north than say Buzzards Bay or Vinyard Sound) a chiller (and maybe double-paned glass on the tank to control condensation) would be mandatory IMO.

Here's a good discusion from a month or so ago about people keeping GOM ecotype tanks.

I'm really tempted to set one up in the future. Very interesting I think, and great project for kids growing up around here.

Back