Coral Cycled 15 Gallon AIO Innovative Marine

ChrisPchef

BRS Member
Trying something a bit unique this time around. Many individuals believe that a tank must be cycled before introducing corals. I've decided to set up a 15-gallon Innovative Marine cube where I will be cycling the tank solely with corals. Instead of using fish, which can be harmed by ammonia, corals are my chosen method for cycling as they do not have blood like fish and do not react the same way to ammonia. Here is the equipment I am using:

- Light: Aqua Illuminations 16HD
- Heater: EHEIM 50-watt heater
- Wave Maker: Nero 3
- 10lbs of Caribsea dry rock
- 10lbs Caribsea live reef sand
- Instant Ocean salt
- Tap water

I placed an order for the Innovative Marine 15-gallon tank on Thursday, March 14th. The same day, I measured the dimensions of the tank on a cardboard box and purchased 16 lbs of Caribsea dry rock from a local fish store. Upon returning home, I used a hammer to break some of the rock and created various aquascapes on the cardboard box to decide on a final design. I used cement to solidify the aquascape I preferred.

While waiting for the tank to arrive, I filled two 5-gallon buckets with dry rock and tap water. I added 2 1/2 cups of Instant Ocean salt to each bucket, letting them mix. With only one extra heater, I kept one bucket warm and mixing, while the other was at room temperature and mixed using an additional pump. I added a frozen raw shrimp to the bucket with the heater, dry rock, and powerhead to allow the decomposition process to begin from March 14th until the tank arrived on the 19th.

Once the tank arrived, it was a simple assembly with the aquascape chosen and water prepared. I lined the bottom of the tank with live sand before adding the rock from the buckets. I added the heater and powerhead, filling the tank with a total of 10 gallons. As the water warmed up and mixed, I buried the remaining decomposing shrimp into the live sand.

I proceeded to mix an additional 5 gallons of saltwater and performed a water change on my 32-gallon biocube. I used the removed 5 gallons to top off the 15-gallon tank. After the tank reached the desired temperature, I confirmed the salinity and added corals from my 32-gallon tank.

The corals I added include:
- 1 green montipora
- 2 green nepthea
- 2 Og bounce mushrooms
- 1 green toadstool
- 1 frag with 5 polyps of pink diamond zoanthids
- 1 Favia
- 1 unknown blue coral
- 1 NY Knicks torch

Within a day, everything settled in nicely, the water was clear, the sand had settled, and all the corals were thriving. I will be documenting the process with pictures over time. My plan is to wait about 2 weeks before introducing a clownfish and more corals. Stay tuned for updates!

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpeg
    IMG_1302.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1303.jpeg
    IMG_1303.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1358.jpeg
    IMG_1358.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1359.jpeg
    IMG_1359.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 30
Today marks a week since the dry rock has been soaking in water. Glad to see some algae beginning to appear. Corals looking great all opened up and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 32
Good morning everyone, happy Easter!

Today marks the 12th day since starting up the 15 gallon IM nano. I figured I’d give a little update. Since my last post I have made a few minor changes. On March 26th, a week after the tank had been set up, I relocated my small clownfish over to its new home. It’s been loving life, with the whole aquarium to himself.

With the exception of the NY knicks torch all the corals seem to be out and about doing well. The torch began to recede on me, at this point and time I’m attributing it to either flow or temperature. As my light schedule is identical to the 32. Both using lights powered by Aqua Illumination making it a breeze to drag and drop the same light schedule. I have transferred the torch back to my 32 gallon biocube where it quickly opened back up.

In terms of new corals I have gone ahead and added a newly fragged piece of exosphere Zoanthids that I recently cut. I also added in a devils hand leather from a fellow BRS member. After having moved the torch back to the 32 and selling one of the OG bounce I went ahead and added in two pieces of OG bounce. I also added a small piece of Sunkist bounce mushroom. I briefly noticed a small diatom bloom (I believe) which seems to have gone away on its own.

As for now I have only fed the tank VERY lightly, using a few squirts from a small pipette when feeding my 32 gallon system. To keep my clownfish happy I have fed him twice. One time using about 5 sinking pellets which he gobbled right up. The second time I fed him just a few prime reef flakes. As for maintenance a daily top off of about a quart of tap water, as well as cleaning the glass. No water changes quite yet. Very happy with how things are turning out!

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1473.jpeg
    IMG_1473.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1471.jpeg
    IMG_1471.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 20
A few more pictures from March 31st

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 13
This has been done for a long time even with sps. A Brazilian does this all the time and it works good but you have to see the level of reefer that’s doing it. If you don’t know what to do in certain situations it could end horribly for everything. As long as you are on top of testing for ammonia you should be ok. Corals take up ammonia better than nitrate but can still die if the the ammonia gets out of control. Also you have to check once the nutrients get depleted and correct it.

This has been done for a long time even with sps. A Brazilian does this all the time and it works good but you have to see the level of reefer that’s doing it. If you don’t know what to do in certain situations it could end horribly for everything. As long as you are on top of testing for ammonia you should be ok. Corals take up ammonia better than nitrate but can still die if the the ammonia gets out of control. Also you have to check once the nutrients get depleted and correct it.
You’re right I couldn’t agree more. I’ve heard the same thing said about this “strategy” like when Jake Adam’s started his 20 gallon in 1 day. Cool to give it a shot myself though! Does the Brazilian reefer have forum posts/yt or anything? I’d be interested to read more about his tanks.

In order to battle a huge ammonia spike I’ve been seldom feeding the tank. As you know it is very easy to over feed lol. Also I’m realizing more and more that not too many feed corals besides lighting and fish waste.

I’m also happy to share my experience as I think reef keeping has become over complicated with unnecessary gadgets. I have not tested the water in my 32 gallon in over three years at this point and everything is thriving. I do not plan on testing anything in the 15 either aside from salinity. We’ll see how this simple and sweet start up goes, I’ll keep everyone posted!

Last edited:
I’d be too nervous to put high end corals in right away
I’ve had these OG bounces since August 7th 2020. In my experience they’re very hardy! Im very comfortable with their needs in terms of flow and lighting. Im still very new to SPS I don’t think I would feel comfortable throwing in an expensive frag of SPS quite yet haha.

The uglies are begging to hit and I am very happy to see it! I have yet to give the tank a water change and all is well. I will let the tank run about another week before taking any action. My only plan as of now is to get my hands on some Nassarius to help stir the sand bed.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 16
Today marks one month since the no cycle 15 gallon has begun, I figured I’d provide an update as a few things have changed. In order to help keep the tank clean without my assistance I went ahead and added two nassarius snails and two Trochus snails as well as some bristle worms and Asterina starfish.

After noticing some diatoms on the sand I added the Nassarius to aid in stirring the sand bed. Also having noticed some hair algae beginning to grow I added the two Trochus snails. Bringing the total clean up crew up to 1 Astrea, 2 Trochus, 2 Nassarius and one blue legged hermit. Being a fan of free CUC I also added some Asterina starfish from my 32 to the 15.

I know there is a debate whether or not Asterina eat corals, however there are 15 or more species of Asterina. After 4 years of keeping these Asterina I am confident the species I have does not eat coral. I also went ahead and took some bristle worms out of the 32 and added them to the 15 gallon.

In terms of corals I went ahead and added in another frag of green Kenya tree. I also added in a frag of golden gonzo mushroom as well as a purple/green tipped hammer. I am new to fragging Zoa’s and I think I did a poor job with the exospheres. The two head frag I put into the 15 has melted away.

I removed one of the bigger bubbled OG bounce mushrooms and replaced it with a smaller frag. The reason being is my clownfish has hosted the OG bounce, he is not too gentle and had shredded some bubbles right off the mushroom. I also decided to glue down some of the frags to the rock work as the CUC was moving them too and fro.

The corals currently in the tank are as follows.
2 neon green toadstools
3 green Kenya tree
1 devils hand leather
4 OG bounce
1 Sunkist bounce
1 golden gonzo mushroom
2 types of Zoa’s ( AOI/pink diamond)
1 Favia
1 green/purple tipped hammer
1 green monti cap
1 unknown coral

So far maintenance has consisted of a daily glass cleaning using a mag float. One daily manual top off using good ole fashioned tap water. One daily basting of the rock to stir up detritus. I’ve mentioned before I do not test my parameters avoiding chasing numbers. I keep an eye on the coral and inhabitants to let me know when to do a water change.

This past week I gave the tank its first water change. I realized the neon green toadstools hadn’t opened for a few days and decided it was time to do a water change. I did not make fresh salt water. I used 5 gallons from the 32 gallon to replace the removed 5 gallons of water. I used a tooth brush to scrub some hair algae off the rock when siphoning the water out.

I figure the 32 gallon isn’t necessarily dirty when I give it its weekly water change so I decided to go this route. Taking this idea from TSA. There has been zero testing of any parameters done thus far and everything is doing great.

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpeg
    IMG_1656.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1654.jpeg
    IMG_1654.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1653.jpeg
    IMG_1653.jpeg