couple of deaths

Jill & Brian

Reef Hiatus
Well, We have our first real death since starting our tank. A cleaner shrimp that we got about 3 weeks ago died yeaterday. She only had one leg when we goy her, but she was really active. My daughter named her La La

We also have some pink zoos that look like they are dying also. They are also about 3 weeks old (got a frag from Dawn), and they were out and fully open for a while, but they fell off the rock they were on 3 times before I got them to stick. They have been mostly closed since late last week when I glued them on the last time. La La the cleaner shrimp was on them a bit as well.

I pulled out a bunch of xenia on friday. I also removed some brown zoos from another rock on saturday (I did this outside of the tank in a bucket). On sunday I did a weekly water change of 6 gallons. Water parameters are normal and have been stable for a couple of months. Everything else in the tank is doing fine as of this morning.

Any ideas on what might have happened. Unfortunately we were not around to watch anything yesterday. We saw her dead around 6, and when we got back home around 10, she was completly gone (probably made a good snack for a few people)

Could it have been the shell from a molt that you saw? They look exactly like a dead shrimp and the shrimp usually hide after molting.

Brian what do the zoas look like ? or is it that they just arent opening? if there is ANY sign of a white fuzzy look to them pull them and call me immediately I will come take a look . otherthan that where are they located inthe tank and what kinda flow ? if they can still be removed and they are still closed pull them outta the tank and swish them around in some tank water place in some clean tank water and do a 3 drop lugols dip on them for app. 10 minutes then place in low flow under lower light in the tank best bet is todo this after MH go out so as not to stress them any further .. HTH LMK how things go

jango said:
What are the parameters?

Nitrate - 0 (on test strip)
Nitrite - 0
Salinity - 1.025
Calcium - 420
Alk dKh - 8.6
PH - 8.1

Flighty, I am pretty sure it wasn't the molt - it still had the eyes in it and some 'meat' in the tail. The rocks are pretty open, and we didn't see her skittering around in the back. Again, we didn't have a lot of time to look at it before it disappeared, so we may never know what happened.

Dawn, I am going to give Jill a call and have her respond. I don't think there was any fuzziness, but they are shrunk up and closed tight. One of them looks like it has a scab over the top of the opening.

They are in the center towards the bottom of the tank. There is very little direct flow on them

skyedolphan said:
Brian what do the zoas look like ? or is it that they just arent opening? if there is ANY sign of a white fuzzy look to them pull them and call me immediately I will come take a look . otherthan that where are they located inthe tank and what kinda flow ? if they can still be removed and they are still closed pull them outta the tank and swish them around in some tank water place in some clean tank water and do a 3 drop lugols dip on them for app. 10 minutes then place in low flow under lower light in the tank best bet is todo this after MH go out so as not to stress them any further .. HTH LMK how things go

Back