death by vacation

Conlius

Fish Eater!
I went on a week long vacation to NH, went to greenfield state park to go camping with my lady friend for the week. I left my tank in the hands of another. Not much maintanence is needed for a week of absense except adding top off water and feeding the fish... But I came home to find my 2 clownfish dead, my xenia dead, my zoo's completely shut and they haven't opened back up in the last 3 days, a few hermit crabs died as well. Im not sure what happened, i can only think it was a heat spike. It wasn't very hot this week and I have a fan on top of the tank blowing across the lights too. My house sits around 77-78 degrees all the time if all the windows are shut, if they are opened and all the glass doors are opened it gets hotter of course. the only thing I can think is that the heater stuck for a long period of time.

Im not asking if any of you know what caused this...im just simply venting.

There was a big power outage the weekend before last due to the storm. I think there most have been a power surge too that set off my GFI.

I came back from Baltimore to find out my tank had no power, luckily in only took 8 hrs.

Very sorry to hear this. A reccomendation for the future and for others reading this thread: "Whole House" surge protectors are a good way to prevent spikes from tripping breakers. They can be easily installed in your service panel.

you know what, i bet that was it. the sitter told me we lost power 3 times over my vacation....

not sure if this was at night or during day, either one would be bad for the tank though.

Back