death toll increasing

jmkeary

Non-member
Well treated my tank today for red bugs did a 20% water change and now have to count the dead. so far

Red bugs:
no known survivors can be seen but they are small so you never know i'll get any potential survivors next week

Hermit crabs:
3 known survivors. at least 5 confirmed dead (currently being pulled from shells or eaten, 9 looking dead but may recover and still in shells. hermits are mean saw a small one that survive go up to a big one that was not moving pull him from the shell and move right in.

Emerald crabs:
1 known survivor. 2 dead. 2 MIA

porcillin crab:
1 known survivor. 1 dead. 2 MIA

Pom Pom crab:
No known losses and even saw one tonight heavy with eggs hope they survive oh and it was one of the ones eating one of the dead hermits

Blood shrimp:
MIA but he hides a lot I think my leopard wrasse is after him. the wrasse seems to have a taste for shrimp saw him pick off a hermit afew days ago and had a pair of cleaner shrimp disappear a month or so ago after i saw the wrasse make a run at one. May have to remove him and get another who is not so hungry for shrimp

peppermint shrimp
survived

some interesting notes.

saw some bristle worms tonight looking really dopie they did not run from the flashlight like they normally do. Have a starfish and brittle star in the tank both also look dopie and are not moving as they normally do. oh and all my fish have huge tummies guess they did well eating all the pods that did not make it.

Anyone else make any interesting observations after the red bug treatment?

Sorry to hear about your losses. :( You din't have another small tank to house your crabs, hermits and stars while you treated the main tank? Also I would remove as many dead animals as you can find, they are producing Ammonia and could start a chain reaction killing others in you tank like serpent stars and bristle worms and corals/fish. If you pick up a hermit and it doesn't retreat in to the shell it is probably a goner.

Good luck and hope everything works out well.

Back