Decisions, Decisions.

D Ro

Non-member
Hello Hello, my name is Dan and I'm completely new to this site and slowly starting to get familiar with the basics of SW Tanks. So I'm welcoming myself in and hoping to pick your brains :)

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know my a** from my elbows when it comes to SW Tanks. Nor Fish, Pumps, Powerheads, Skimmers, Refugiums, etc. Only what I read and hear about, so any advice is good. Ive read here and a few more sites for beginners and I understand the basics but I need alot more research. I have a few local friends into the hobby and its very confusing because I know they'll always be an argument as to what product/method is better, so no matter who I ask I usually get different answers. I currently do not have anything, my plan is to set up a FOWLR to start. I guess that the best way to go?

Long time family friend is giving me a 55g tank and a 90g tank. But I had a few concerns...

-The tank is going in my room, 2nd floor, so I was concerned about weight because I was going to start with the 90, but I also am not sure if that the best idea either? House is new (6-7 years) but 1500-1800lbs scares me with 15k in home entertainment below it in the living room. The tank will be in a section of the room set ontop of a custom "window seat" for the tank and sump.
Ex: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...-seat-maple-natural-window-seat-bedroom-1.jpg

-I also worry about temperatures, the tank will sit infront of a window, any precautions I need to worry about or take to prevent issues? 5% Window Tint, Paint, aquatic background?

-Is a 20g home made sump big enough for a 90g?

-I was interested in having the tank drilled for the intake and return so I don't have to have over flows hanging off the back since I'm tight on space. I planned on having it professionally drilled and I heard they're was a special way so that it makes almost zero noise, truth?

I know I have a million more questions to ask, I'm just trying to take things slowly and really understand how this works. Cant take the chance at making major mistakes. I went to a local aquatic store hoping to get some good advice and the employee I spoke to couldn't tell me a damn thing worth remembering, no help whatsoever. So I'm hoping to get it here, thanks ahead.

Right now my biggest concern would be the custom window seat.That was built to hold a few hundred pounds of people?And yes overflows can be very quiet if they are done right

Sorry I wasnt clear, Im making the window seat for the tank to sit on, not for people, hence "window seat." Its only going to house the tank & sump, no people.

So what exactly is "done right"?

I suggest visiting some members homes to see their systems up and running, which will clear up a lot of your confusion. I'm in Worcester as well (Burncoat), and you're more than welcome to check out my system and talk reef. Send me a PM if you want to stop by.

Ive seen about 3 set ups in the past week from some local friends but I would gladly check yours out and pick your brain. Just difficult to make decisions with so many options and so many people telling me this or that is better/necessary/useless etc.

but PM'd!

When you check out other tanks, Pay attention to how clean and clear the water and sand bed is. And see what they run. Your welcome to come by here anytime, were in Belling ham. We have 4 different systems set up all with different issues and methods. Actually the 120 is looking dang good finally. I'd also check out how you like the different aquascapeing.

Hello Hello, my name is Dan and I'm completely new to this site and slowly starting to get familiar with the basics of SW Tanks. So I'm welcoming myself in and hoping to pick your brains :)

:w Dan
I'll be the first to admit, I don't know my a** from my elbows when it comes to SW Tanks. Nor Fish, Pumps, Powerheads, Skimmers, Refugiums, etc. Only what I read and hear about, so any advice is good. Ive read here and a few more sites for beginners and I understand the basics but I need alot more research. I have a few local friends into the hobby and its very confusing because I know they'll always be an argument as to what product/method is better, so no matter who I ask I usually get different answers. I currently do not have anything, my plan is to set up a FOWLR to start. I guess that the best way to go?

This way my route and yes there are different opinions on EVERYTHING

Long time family friend is giving me a 55g tank and a 90g tank. But I had a few concerns...

-The tank is going in my room, 2nd floor, so I was concerned about weight because I was going to start with the 90, but I also am not sure if that the best idea either? House is new (6-7 years) but 1500-1800lbs scares me with 15k in home entertainment below it in the living room. The tank will be in a section of the room set ontop of a custom "window seat" for the tank and sump.
Ex: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...-seat-maple-natural-window-seat-bedroom-1.jpg

Good friend :). I think you would be fine as long as the house layout is okay but I'm no contractor or structural engineer. Ninety gallons isn't too big on the second in my opinion.

-I also worry about temperatures, the tank will sit infront of a window, any precautions I need to worry about or take to prevent issues? 5% Window Tint, Paint, aquatic background?
I wouldn't be concerned about it. My display is in front of a pretty big window and haven't had any problems.

-Is a 20g home made sump big enough for a 90g?
Bigger is always better but you should be fine

-I was interested in having the tank drilled for the intake and return so I don't have to have over flows hanging off the back since I'm tight on space. I planned on having it professionally drilled and I heard they're was a special way so that it makes almost zero noise, truth?

I know I have a million more questions to ask, I'm just trying to take things slowly and really understand how this works. Cant take the chance at making major mistakes. I went to a local aquatic store hoping to get some good advice and the employee I spoke to couldn't tell me a damn thing worth remembering, no help whatsoever. So I'm hoping to get it here, thanks ahead.

Search and google are your best friends :)

So I have both tanks here at home, cleaned them up, etc. The 55g came with an Amiracle Wet/Dry (18x8x14), hang on over flow, Bioballs, Resun King 590F pump, light, some really hard crushed coral substrate and a bunch of dried coral rocks. Free is nice. Im not really sure whats good/bad/re-usable?

The tanks are nice, but im a little skeptical of the drilling portion. I cant afford to take a risk of having a tank shatter after its got water in it Im on the verge of buying a reef ready used if I can. I found one on Craigslist for what seems like a good price but seeing how I dont know the product name brands too well and the quality im not sure if Im getting a good deal.

Items:
(Excuse the Caps)
TANK, INCLUDING ENTIRE STAND/CANOPY (90g RR)
(2) ADDITIONAL BUCKETS OF BIO BALLS
PRO CLEAR AQUATIC SYSTEMS PROTIEN SKIMMER
AQUA UV STERILIZER
HYDROMETER THERMOMETER
CORALIFE TURBO SEA 790 PUMP
PRE-DRILLED OVER FLOW BOX WITH OVER FLOW PIPES

LIGHT FIXTURE:
(4X) T5'S AND (2)FANS
(2) 250WATT BALLAST
(2) DOUBLE ENDED RETRO FIT METAL HALIDES
FIXTURES 250WATT

AIR-PUMP
(1X) 250WATT HEATER (STEALTH)
(1X)200 HEATER (STEALTH)

BIO BALL SUMP W/SPONGE (30 GALLONS)
BUBBLE TRAP COMPARTMENT
10 FT BACKGROUND DROP - BLUE/BLACK?

$450.... Worth it?

Unfortunately I missed out on that deal, talked to the seller and the next day I called to pick it up and it was gone. So still on the hunt, a little annoyed trying to find a good deal on a used system. Almost to the point where Im just going to start fresh with a brand new 75/90 RR tank.

I found another set up, in NH which is a trip for me for the same price of about $450 plus the drive of 2 hours both ways that Im not so excited about:
- 90 gallon, Reef Ready AGA Tank with corner overflow
- AGA Custom Series Oak stand and canopy
- 38 gallon custom acrylic sump (fits inside of stand)
- Euro Reef RS135 In-sump Skimmer
-A couple of Seio 1500 gph pumps

And the stand is useless to me and if I cant use that sump as a refugium too, then its useless aswell...

Any input? Just trying to avoid over spending on equipment that Im just going to toss or have to sell

Have you asked in the"want to buy"forum?
Are you searching the 4 sale forum here as well?
Some good deals...

i posted a "Want to by" and the following weekend i had a 90gl complete set up...

I wouldn't put a tank infront of the window....you are always going to have drafts/excess heat in front of glass. Will be harder to stabilize.

Its there or no tank unfortunately. Im working with limited space, plus I never open the blinds or open the windows. I'll make due, if I have to buy a chiller or bigger/more heaters.

Still looking for a set up! More patience I've had for anything

keep looking but stay diligent. lot's of people tail off from the hobby or breakdown in the summer months...good time to find a whole setup!!!! Just us die hards that never give up!!!! past the decade mark myself....

GL n ur hunt

Back