Differance in electronic and magnetic ballast?

Bobbofin

Non-member
I am currently running a mh magnetic ballast firing a Hamilton 14kk 150mh bulb on a Hamilton Belize fixture. The color is good with two ATI blue+ 420/460nm T5.
My question is:Would I save that much electricity going to an electronic ballast? Also, I've been told that electronic ballasts don't burn the bulb so hot so the color would be a little bluer and not so bright? Am I correct?

I was looking at the Galaxy Ballast form Sunlight supply. It has a 150, 175, 250 & HQI switch on it. I read the manual online, it stinks. I have a 150 watt HQI mh. What does the HQI switch do?

Runs hqi bulbs. Double ended halide.

I have the same ballast and love it. I think I paid 130$ at CRA.

A 150 electronic ballast will underdrive most 150 double ended bulbs. This can actually shorten it's life, but usually burns the bulb a bit bluer. It's not really more efficient, as the par will go down too in most cases. Good info here:http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

One thing to keep in mind, magnetic ballasts use more power, but put out more PAR. If you look at Sanjay's data for example, a magnetic ballast may use 30% more electricity than an electronic ballast, but it will also put out about 30% more PAR. PAR per watt remains about the same either way.

As far as HQI goes, this tends to be misunderstood. It is a standard, that is typically associated with double ended bulbs, but what is confusing is this isn't always true. For example, all phoenix bulbs, SE or DE are all hqi spec'd and run most efficiently with an HQI ballast.

One thing to keep in mind, magnetic ballasts use more power, but put out more PAR. If you look at Sanjay's data for example, a magnetic ballast may use 30% more electricity than an electronic ballast, but it will also put out about 30% more PAR. PAR per watt remains about the same either way.

Now that makes a lot of sense. Where I'm running only a single 150 watt bulb 9 hours a day the electricity savings would not add up to anything worthwhile and it would not justify buying a electronic ballast. Also, the light would not be as bright and the 14kk would be bluer.

Back