skyedolphan

Non-member
Here goes open to discussion
I have a 24 aquapod
with 2x32w PC
set up mainly for my GBM clowns and their rose
anemone
my clowns have finally gone to new bigger better home
now the pod holds the rose and another anemone that has been around for 7 years (have no clue what kind)
my zoas ( which havent taken the switch to lower light well )
and some ofmy rics
oh ya a yellow coris also
I just learnt that I can get a glass top for the pod
which would allow me to place a MH hanging unit over it
I have a 250 DE unit downstairs over my frag/fuge
that I could moveup here and switch the frag to a straight fuge again

they also sell the 70 MH unit to retro into the pod I am afraid of a heat issue
if I go that route and also feel maybe incorrectly that gaining 6 watts is not worth the cost/changeout

should I just watch for a 175 unit selling is 250 overkill? I am not worried about the heat issue as I can easily place a fan where it is at

or just leave as is and hope my zoas can transition

last option is to take the darn thing down adding the anemones and all else to the main tank

can anyone tell I cant think clearly anymore LOL

Personally I prefer the "replace the 120g with a 240g" option that we talked about last time I was there :D Then the AquaPod could be a frag tank with the 250W DE in the basement and the refugium could be a refugium again. Or the pod could just stay as is for anemone and other miscellaneous stuff.

Are the zoos dying off or just changing color? It looked damn good when I was there but that was a couple months ago. I'd agree that finding a decent 175W should be more than enough to get the zoos back to the light they're accustomed/addicted to.

Adding a glass top doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Its a maintenance nightmare and prevent evaporative cooling.

Dawn,

I'd be worried about heat issues with 250 watt halide over such a small volume of water.

When I was running a 30 gallon frag tank, it was lit with an 250 watt DE bulb. In the summer, heat was always an issue, and the tank was in my basement where it stays somewhat cooler.

Here goes open to discussion
I have a 24 aquapod
with 2x32w PC ...
they also sell the 70 MH unit to retro into the pod I am afraid of a heat issue
if I go that route and also feel maybe incorrectly that gaining 6 watts is not worth the cost/changeout

A 70w MH isnt going to make any more heat than a 64w PC fixture.

MHs also are more than twice as efficient as PCs, so you'd be about doubling the amount of actual light produced.

I have had quite a few die off
also some color change although the new colors arent too bad either
Rich thank you for clarifying the MH versus PC for me maybe I will try that route

Rob wasnt even thinking about the glass being an issue just figured better safe than sorry dont want to loose my coris so maybe the 70 retro is the way to go

Back