DIY mh pendent

Rbarb1111

Non-member
Does any know if i can use a 250w mh retrofit kit to build an oak trimed hanging pendent light. Do you think it will get too hot for a wood frame to handle.

I'm not really sure. I think "oak trimmed" would be ok, but perhaps not if the entire thing is made of wood.

I'm moving this to DIY Forum.

Rbarb111, You will need a reflector comes with most kits or get one cheap bit of reflectoring material from a machine shop. that will help spread the heat then you can leave some of the top open for venting. When I biult my top to my tank I framed it on three sides and used a strip of ply wood to attach the retro kit to it reflector then mongal base so when you look at it you dont know that the top is open there was a 250w bulb it did nit scorch the wood but it was a little to close to the NO floresent that it got scorched but no damage

I'd think your best bet would be to construct it so there is at least 1/2" air space between the back and sides of the reflector, and mount a ventilation fan to blow some of the air between the reflector and wood case. That sort of double wall construction should keep the wood fairly cool. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Nate

Back