DIY stands

NanoReefer

25g Waterbox
Can anyone here build a wooden stand with a solid top, sides can be open, does not need to be finished (paint or stain) I can do that part. Key is cheap and I need to have a 20L on the top and a 20 L underneath(stand can be wider than the tank, slide a 20L in the end underneath). Problem is I have no power tools (cause I live in an apartment
1018.gif
) and I have an Iron stand with a reef tank (ie. rust
eusa_doh.gif
). Material cost should be pretty cheap and
I can help with construction etc...

This is not time critical, no big rush involved, I just want to get the iron stand out as I am noticing more rust scaling up and I don't want it to fall in the tank.

Keep this in mind....depending on the stand construction, the sides and back panels provide a lot of the strength to a stand. I am in the process of building a(nother) stand for my 40. I built a frame out of 2x4's, but untill I attached the back panel and the sides it was still a bit wobbly. With the back and sides attached securely it easily supports me running and jumping up on top of it with no wobble. I also live in an apartment, I make a big mess so I'm lucky my roomates are understanding. My biggest problem with building in an apartment is that I can't work on it much at night because I would disturb the downstairs neighbor.

The reason for the openness is that I could panel it here. I just need someone to whip up a skeleton or framework and a top ( I really want a solid top). My apartment is very strict on noise and pets (ummm) so I need to cool about it. We are moving to more pet friendly quarters in 2 months, the wife wants a cat. (you have a reef and I can't have a cat kinda stuff, it really pisses her off hehe)

I dont mean to be a jerk, but if you're getting wobble on a stand made of 2x4s to hold a 40g, you've got structural design issues.

The corners are probably the issues.

My 20L stand is built with 2x4s as the cornerposts, and everything else is 1x2s. It was rock solid before I even put the plywood on the outside. With the plywood, I think I could probably put about 700 lbs on it and not even worry.

I would advise cutting the 2x4s so that the ends serve as holders for the rest of the frame. I'll draw some stuff up and post later, to show you what I mean.

These 2x4 stands are so often big and bulky simply because theyre poorly designed.

working in an apartment does make it tough though. I went home and had my father help me through it all, I just dont have the powertools.

Get some advice from someone who's been taught about loadbearing structures before you build. You can end up with a very slight, elegant design, that will hold a ton of weight, where everyone else you know has a big bulky structure that is barely adequate

Rich

I just called a friend, and he has access to to a table saw so I may be able to do it myself.

dedfish thanks (a fellow deadhead?)
Poised for flight
Wings spread bright
Spring from night
into the sun
Don't stop to run

Rich, I would like to see those plans for a 20L sounds sturdy

Sounds good Nano.

Rich...like I said there is absolutely no wobble with the back and sides screwed on. None. Zip. Nada. I know that 2x4's are overkill for a lot of smaller tanks, but with this design I feel comfortable with the sturdiness and it leaves the entire front of the stand open to allow easy access to the sump. I weigh in arround 200lbs and with me literally jumping on the thing and sitting on top of it and trying to make it wiggle it still doesn't move.

Ded, if it works, then its great.

I was just worried that with his space constraints, wanting to fit a similar sized tank on the bottom

(I realize my last post seemed like I personal shot...my bad.)

anyways..here is what the corners should look like. Theyre solid when they get finished..when covered with plywood, you could park a truck on top of it.

This way it puts all of the weight on the corner board, and none on the nails/screws/glue/bracing you use. Its the most reliable way to go.

Attachments

• picture.JPG
    picture.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 393
If that doesn't work out. I have a fairly complete workshop in my basement. I have built several stands. If you would like I can make it available to you and we can put some time and our heads together and build you a stand. PM me if you want to take me up on my offer

I needed to do make a similar stand, 30gl display with 20gl tall under.....made this....

I used 4x4 (notched to accept 2x4?s like Rich did) for the 4 posts and the rest all 2x4?s. ? plywood for top and inside shelf, wrapped sides in ?? birch plywood?.

No need for anything in the back with the 4x4 and 2x4 construction which has worked out very nicely....talk about rock solid?good luck

Attachments

• standopen.jpg
    standopen.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 386
Hey look at the cheeap MDF spongeboard crap they sell.. Glued together puree of recycled wood that expands into goo the first time it gets wet. Just about anything you build will be stronger.

Back