Dosing pump getting clogged

Drichards

BRS Member
I have a coral box Wi-Fi doser. I dose Brs2 part. My alk gets clogged every couple weeks in the line. Is there a way to prevent this or is this doser just a piece of crap? Does anyone else experience this issue on their doses? The one reason I bought this was to rely on it dosing, that's the only job it has to do! Any recommendations on a 4 head Doser.

Few thoughts:
- What is controlling the doser? Probe? Timer? Etc. Could you set the doser to run longer (lower concentration) to flush the lines more frequently?
- Does BRS 2part have a specified concentration? Could you dilute it then dose more to compensate?
- How well does the 2part get mixed? Whats clogging the tube?

Same problem with my b ionic. I was thinking about diluting and increasing frequency of dosing but instead went back to manual. Maybe this weekend I'll try that

If the dosing line get clogged, it is due to the dosing solution.
There can be small undissolved solid particles at the bottom of the bottle. Raise the intake tube in the bottle so that it won’t sit on the bottom of the bottle.

Another thing to look for is the output side. If the output of the alk is very close to the water surface, salt water splash that hits the output will form calcium carbonate and clog the line.

Also, I find installing a one way check valve close to dosing container help accurately maintain fluid inside dosing lines especially when the solution container is far below doser pump causing a back siphoning effect. Fluid remains in the line and comes out the moment pump is on.

Dong and Luu nailed it on this thread. I used the Coralbox wifi doser for years to dose 2 part without any issues.

1. Make sure the tube in the dosing container is above the bottom
2. Make sure the output going into the sump is above the water line enough
3. Make sure to knock off Alk build up off output tube every once in a while
4. Check valves on this doser is a must

I used to have problems with buildup on the output side (especially of alk), so I started having my RO/DI ATO output flush the tip of the Alk output tubing (just zip tying them together works). Now the ATO cleans all dosing lines multiple times a day, and you’ll never have output issues due to clogging of the ends.

I used to have problems with buildup on the output side (especially of alk), so I started having my RO/DI ATO output flush the tip of the Alk output tubing (just zip tying them together works). Now the ATO cleans all dosing lines multiple times a day, and you’ll never have output issues due to clogging of the ends.
Great idea! Thank you very much for sharing.

Few thoughts:
- What is controlling the doser? Probe? Timer? Etc. Could you set the doser to run longer (lower concentration) to flush the lines more frequently?
- Does BRS 2part have a specified concentration? Could you dilute it then dose more to compensate?
- How well does the 2part get mixed? Whats clogging the tube?
The alk is clogging the tube. An app that controls the doser. If I set the Doser to run longer it will potentially throw off my numbers. Diluting the brs 2 part would be a little counterproductive as then the reef calculator wouldn't make sense. I honestly don't know what to do? I reached out to reefbreeders where I got it and their customer service is excellent. Logan is sending over a couple new Pump heads. What's clogging the line is residual alk. This doser as inherently got air bubbles in the lines, which in turn is drying out the alk. I installed 2 check valves, one on each end of the line.

If the dosing line get clogged, it is due to the dosing solution.
There can be small undissolved solid particles at the bottom of the bottle. Raise the intake tube in the bottle so that it won’t sit on the bottom of the bottle.
ThanksDong

Dong and Luu nailed it on this thread. I used the Coralbox wifi doser for years to dose 2 part without any issues.

1. Make sure the tube in the dosing container is above the bottom
2. Make sure the output going into the sump is above the water line enough
3. Make sure to knock off Alk build up off output tube every once in a while
4. Check valves on this doser is a must
Yes!

The alk is clogging the tube. An app that controls the doser. If I set the Doser to run longer it will potentially throw off my numbers. Diluting the brs 2 part would be a little counterproductive as then the reef calculator wouldn't make sense. I honestly don't know what to do? I reached out to reefbreeders where I got it and their customer service is excellent. Logan is sending over a couple new Pump heads. What's clogging the line is residual alk. This doser as inherently got air bubbles in the lines, which in turn is drying out the alk. I installed 2 check valves, one on each end of the line.
Diluting then doubling dosage volume would net the same amount dosed. But as Dong said, make sure the dosing jug intake isn’t directly on the jug bottom where it may take in particulate.

Great idea

Back