Dsb

jojo1n2

Non-member
Hey guys I'm just wondering what everyones opinion is on the deep sand bed
Method. I'm breaking down my 65 and upgrading to a 75g and I'm not sure if I want to keep the sand

my opinion= Outdated.

Lots of people still use them, and i've personally never used one... but the only reason i would use one on a tank now a days is if i wanted a burrowing jawfish or goby, not for nutrient export reasons....

if you wanted to try the whole deep sand bed for nutrient export reasons, i would do a RDSB... DSB's in the display look ugly IMO, get dirty fast, and for a DSB to remove nutrients, it has to be replaced every few years, which is why a RSDB works better.

I did mine just because I like the way it looks. I agree if you don't like the look of a DSB a remote deep sand bed would work better. It's all a matter of if you like the look of them or not...

Don't you young'ins have some text messaging to do while ripping down the freeway?:p
I honestly think it helps out with nitrate problems.

lol... =)

i think in the right situation it can help, but for me personally I :
Don't like the look-
Don't like the fact you have to replace it every few years-

so like i said, if i personally was going to do it, i'd do a RDSB ;)

I do like the idea of a jawfish,but replacing the sand is a major P.I.T.A. IDK i'm on the fence

The R in RDSB means "remote". You set up a bucket of sand seperate from the display, but with the system water flowing across the top of the bucket. Benifit being that if you have problems with it, or want to perodically replace it, it is easy to take it off line, toss the sand, and replace if you choose to.

Personally, I guess I'm another old fogie stuck in his ways. My sand goes back to 02, but I moved it and added more in 04. So when do I need to replace it?

Seriously though, there are a lot of ways to run a reeftank. There are people who have accomplished amazing things with tanks based around undergravel filters :: .

IMO a lot depends on what you want to do with your system. If your looking for a very low nutrient level, SPS dominated tank, your probably better off with something else such as zevoit or similar methods, or at least banish the sand to a RDSB. For some other set ups (live stock plans that is) a DSB could be an excellent option.

DSB/RDSBs can maintain 0 or very near 0 nitrate levels, but may be prone to some nagging phosphate levels. DSB for nitrate reduction is no myth, BUT there are also other ways.

"DSB/RDSBs can maintain 0 or very near 0 nitrate levels, but may be prone to some nagging phosphate levels. DSB for nitrate reduction is no myth, BUT there are also other ways."

I actually went over a year before even detecting any nitrates.
I also run a refugium with chaeto,so that could help.

my sand in my 72 is from '03, moved in '06, and still running in '09, so IDK about that 'replace every few years' dealio....

When I tied my RDSB (in a 40 breeder) to my system, my nitrates disappeared, never to be detected again. I recently added 7 fish who came out of my QT to my system in the same day. no nitrate level change, and that was checking with 2 test kits.

I concur with all the above, and add a few extra thoughts.

For nitrate export, I assume it does work, but does it work MORE than a refugium? I often wonder what the capacity is of a reef tank to remove nitrate - meaning, between the refugium, the rock - do you also need a DSB? Do you max out a tank? Unlikely...

My background experience is the following. I ran a 6 inch dsb on a 75. Had zero nitrates (but still had algae, which means there was nitrate). I assumed the problem was phosphate, so I added a refugium - a small hob one). Then nitrates and phosphates were zero. Coraline algae growth picked up bigtime, but had some algaes in the tank. Then, I moved my tank (gave to my dad) and eliminated the dsb and just used the same rock (over 100 lbs in 75 gal) and kept the refugium. After things settled down after the move, the tank still reads zero nitrates and phosphates. This made me wonder whether the DSB was needed for nitrate export.

I would suggest building the refugium (with good size and light), and if you have nitrate and no phosphate, then add the sand (or do a RDSB). Otherwise, I would rather have 4 inches of water in the display tank than 4 inches of sand. And I don't mind the look - kindof like looking at all the crawly things burrowing in the sand.

my .02

What's a nitrate? I haven't been able to find one in the past 7 yrs??? ;)

I agree with running a refugim in addition. My tank seemed OK before I added my ref, but it's been same or happier since IMO. I wouldn't venture to say that one was better than the other, but I see no harm in running both together.

Thanks for the feedback. I kept some of the sand just for the look. I got a fuge to help with nutrients. Ill keep everyone posted.I'm sure it'll be a bit stressful making the x-over between tanks

Back