easy way to lower alkalinity?

PeterCip

Non-member
So a dosing snafu went ary, and has left me with a 15dkh alk reading.. i've done a water change (20 gallons in 90) and it hasn't really helped much, i think it brought it down a drop.

Is there anyway to easily bring the alk down to 11-12 dkh? My animals don't really seem stressed, which is odd.. but i would rather not be making RODI for the next week to bring the parameters down. my PH is probably high as well come to think of it, but test strips don't tell you much, except that its pink. I'm guessing its around 8.5-6

Thanks,
Pete

I'd just wait until the alk levels out over time if the animals are not stressed. The corals will pull alk over time.

raising the Ca i believe should adversely effect alk levels...although i have done this, as mentioned, it may not be an advisable action.
in my situation, i accidently overdosed and alk was over 20 so i decided not to wait for levels to come down naturally.

Ok, i'll just let it run its course..
I have been dosing CA a bit, so perhaps it will come down to meet its happy medium.
Dosing is miserable, I'm trying to find and economical CA reactor.

Thanks,
Pete

LOL when I first read this I thought "nothing"
But I guess it's been said ...do nothing is the best option......man if only more things in life were like that?

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm currently drip dosing, due to lack of parameter usage, and general ease.
I thought i was drip dosing calcium, but it turned out to be sodium bicarbonate. the bottles of solution are very similar.
Either way, i was testing to make sure that the calcium was rising on target, and realized that it was stuck at 360.. Then i checked alk, and said.. Oh Sh*t.. it was at 14-15dkh.

Since then i have done about a 40% water change, and its back at 11. Problem is, my carpet anemone didn't seem to like the alk shift.(his foot has released, and is tucked in) Hopefully He will readjust to the new/steady water parameters.

I'll check out those reactors.. I have a tank, and a reg(but no needle valve).. I guess its just about jumping in feet first to a reactor.

This is my first dosing snafu since owning the tank/reef. I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later, but I put off a CA reactor because I figured I had the time, so why complain about the slight hassle? I no longer have as much time, and I figure I might as well go the route.. Its like the chiller, I said screw it for so long... until I came home and my tank temps were out of control!

And to think that I said going into the hobby: "don't skimp on equipment, it?s not worth the loss, and its bound to happen"

I should have followed my own advice.

-Pete

The only thing really consuming alk and CA is the coraline. I dont' have any stonies.

I just did a water check:

PH: 8,3
CA: 450~
Alk: 13dkh

Salinity 1.024

Seems like alk and Ca are "balanced" but a bit high..I'll just wait for it to fall.
Thanks for your help guys

Contact Neo (Gustavo) he builds reactors and can build you what ever you want and should be much cheaper than any store bought reactor.

you can certainly go with any method you feel would be best for you.. but with no-low demand,, just occassionaly dripping in lime may keep things in check easy enough. that would eliminate mixing up the part A and B.

Back