Ecotech Coral Glue Thinning Out?

wpeterson

BRS Member
I've used generic cyanoacrylate and other coral glues, but my wife gave me the Ecotech fragging kit - which came with a large bottle of Ecotech glue. It's been great for almost a year, thick and gel-like with good bonding underwater.

However, in the last month the glue has been terrible. It's thinned out so much it's impossible to work with - running all over a delicate frags polyps, getting on you.

Today it was so thin it actually floated up off the frag and into the water column, creating little pools of glue on the surface. The glue on the surface then stuck to my forearms and made a huge mess.

Is this just due to the summer heat? Do I need to keep this stuff in the fridge? It was great to use up until the last few months, so perhaps a consequence of the summer heat.

Have any of you experienced this problem with coral glue?

I stuck the bottle in my fridge to see if it helps for next time.

I put the whole thing of glue in the fridge for a few hours and it is now the correct consistency. It must have been the summer heat.

I put the whole thing of glue in the fridge for a few hours and it is now the correct consistency. It must have been the summer heat.

I haven't had experience with that brand but I thank you for the tip and a fridge might make any gglue easier to work with

I used that glue for a little bit and it is good stuff, but I use superglue Gel from dollar store and it work just as good.

I used that glue for a little bit and it is good stuff, but I use superglue Gel from dollar store and it work just as good.

Agreed. I think it's the same basic cyanoacrylate.

I find using the small generic aluminum tubes frustrating, though. The larger ecotech bottle has lasted longer and been easier to use.

My sister got me the same kit and I had a similar problem, I now store it on the closet which stays at about 70 degrees and haven't had an issue yet

Back