effect of sound waves on a reef?

shecter

BRS Sponsor
ok i apoligise if this sounds odd or if its in the wrong forum. my fishtank is in my bedroom. which is also where my entertainment center is. i was wondering if the vibration the subwoofer makes in the air would effect anything in a negitive way. the sub vibrates the house even at low volumes. is this something i should be worrying about? has anyone studied this before? thanks in advance :D:.

great question... often wondered this myself as my system used to be near by bass amp, or well, in the same room...

i know what you mean. when i play music loud or play my guitar i check them out to see if theres a reaction but i dont notice a difference. figured id see if the smarter people knew better lol.

My tank is in my living room with the surround sound and I have never notice a difference.

right?... you would think polyps would retract or something at least. or fish might get a little anxious... especially when there was some real low end frequency, which would cuase the most vibrations through the subwoofers... like Tom mentioned in his original post...

well if that's true than my fish/corals are deaf now
I watched the latest pink floyd concert on max last week

I do notice my yellow tang change in behavior if I blast it too loud some fish hide a bit so I try not to go to crazy :p

watch your tank while someone slams a door in the house, may not even be to that room but the fish are still skiddish. to make this example even better, watch a freshwater tank with a school of fish, like neon tetras and perform this test, note they all spread from the school.

IMO noise will stress any living animal- be a fish, cat/dog, and even children.

watch your tank while someone slams a door in the house, may not even be to that room but the fish are still skiddish. to make this example even better, watch a freshwater tank with a school of fish, like neon tetras and perform this test, note they all spread from the school.

IMO noise will stress any living animal- be a fish, cat/dog, and even children.

long term exposure to noise will definately stress animals and absolutely even humans, adults as well... i think the advantage the fish/water critters have, is that the water muffles it tremendously... however, if the noise is too loud, and too long, i think it will also take hold on water creatures...

i think the advantage the fish/water critters have, is that the water muffles it tremendously...

Water is a much better conductor of sound than air... The key is not to go crazy. The ocean is not quiet on reefs, if you ever dove on a reef you would notice its pretty noisy, wave action, parrot fish, pistol shrimp, boats.

I play the drums, and my sister plays guitar, and I play pretty loud and whenever I do I look over at my fish and they never seem to be stressed out, and none of the polyps on any of my corals retract. I would think the glass would muffle the sound? Probably wrong, but just a guess.

My tank is in my mancave that includes drum set as well and I notice my fish mosh-pitting! lol bad joke I know... :p Besides coral / fish stress, I wonder if it causes any damage to the silicon joints on the tank??

Fish like little kids should get used to the noise. I had a neighbor who used to ask us not to bounce the basketball because Tucker was sleeping. Our kids slept through everything as they were used to music and other noise....

Back