Electricity keeps going up. Time for Kill a Watt meters?

reefsmurf

Non-member
Anybody have one of these kill a watt meters? Group buy? ;)

http://www.microdaq.com/p3-international/kill-a-watt/index.php

My electric bill keeps going up inexplicably. My reef lighting only totals 560 watts:

.56 KWH * .14503 /KWH * 10 hours/day * 30 days = 168 KWH/month = $24.37/month

MY BILL SAYS I'M CONSUMING 503 KWH a month!!! How is that possible.

I live in a small apt, yet my electric bill is at $80 and climbing, with no A/C, no electric heat, no in unit laundry, I rarely cook. Used to be about $30, then $50 -$60 after I started adding the tanks. Only other thing is a computer and a fridge that would have any constant draw. I can't have more than 100 watts of maxijet pumps. Baffling.

Last edited:
huh huh!

thats nothing my bill is $260-$275 per month you should be happy!!!
a few months ago my electric went up without warning me

Was that about the same time the default service changed? I think I read something about the timing on that, but can't remember the details.

Nuno

PRTA79 said:
thats nothing my bill is $260-$275 per month you should be happy!!!
a few months ago my electric went up without warning me

I'm in the same Ball Park. Mine shot up recently also......

I have one of the meters.....very cool gadget...measures KW so you can translate into $...also measures amps, so you know exactly how much power each device is comsuming.

Can you plug a powerstrip into it and get a total everything plugged in?

Yes you can plug the power strip into it and measure everything that is on the strip.....it does have a 15 amp limit though.

heaters reefsmurf?

And you're definitely doing well at $80. I have a medium sized tank ($65) and my bill is about $120. :(

Fortunately moving my sump to the basement didn't raise my bill any. The GenX pump is amazingly efficient. Barely using more juice than my previous Mag7!

test

what do you do once you find how much it costs?
i mean theres not much you really can do.
alright so you go out and buy new pumps to save maybe 10 watts each
lets say for a total of 30 watts ,thats like $5-$10 you save a month and thats on the high side so say you'll save $120 a year, but it just cost you
$250 in new pumps.
you do the math???
im sure in some conditions its worth it but not to me.
ive figured my setup costs $50-$65 per month

You move.
Seriously, I'm not bitter over the fact that when I lived in Malden and got electric from National Grid and I paid $27-35 a month in Delivery Fee's. Now I have NSTAR. They charge me $57 a month in just delivery and line fee's. O thats right, my eleictricity use is less than the delivery chanrge. Frustraiting. :mad:

Back