Enough lightening?

Jacksparrow

JackSparrow
Aloha all, I'm at a bit of a lose right now. My tank is a 90gal Pentagon with canopy and 75gal sump. The tank dimensions are 30x30x30, right now I have a mini reflector with a se 400w 14k blue-line bulb in there. Because of space I don't have room for any other supplemental lights. The light is about 9inches off the water and then my closet piece of live rock is another 7 inches below that. Is this enough lightening for sps? My tank is at least two years old, I did have a bad day a few months ago, heater (finex) got stuck on and temp hit 90, all coral dead. I have a frag tank right now holding some frags from me. Water parameters are pH 8.1/temp 81/phos undetectable with elos kits,nitrate and nitrite 0/ mag 1450/ dhk 9 (drip kalk) cal 450, water changes every 1-2 weeks of 20% volume, running a phosban reactor 24/7, I have a H&S skimmer running 24/7, lite bioload (6 reef safe fish total + 2 clams) RODI water used and top off with. I also have a dsb of about 5 inches as well. Anything else you need to know? Any input would be great. Mahalo E.

Attachments

• mini-November 2008 067.jpg
    mini-November 2008 067.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 206
  • mini-November 2008 068.jpg
    mini-November 2008 068.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 205
  • mini-November 2008 070.jpg
    mini-November 2008 070.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 217
400 watts is your best bet... however, tank is deep, and spectrum is not the strongest on your bulb, so i would still keep the SPS in the upper portion.

I think wattage-wize you will be fine. I would check the color spectrum on the bulb like Joel says though. You will want a whiter 14K bulb as opposed to one with a blue hue to it, that will give you better growth and better par all the way down through that deep water. A very blue 14K bulb will hurt in that respect. With that being your only source, I would try for a really white 14K like an Ushio (what I have now) and you should be fine.

Aloha all, thanks for the input. I just changed to that bulb to,literally 3 days ago. How about if I where to switch out the reflextor and cover the inside of the canopy with a reflector, minus the fan holes, and put in two 250W Mh say one 14k and one 10k. Would that be a better system? Mahalo Eric

I agree in general with the statements that people made above about color temperature (spectrum). A bluer bulb will usually produce slower growth (but perhaps better color) than a whiter bulb. However, I wouldn't run out and change your whole setup before you know how your particular situation works out. It might be that your 400w bulb produces growth that you're satisfied with, and a look you like.

You certainly have enough light to give any corals a try. Grow them for a while, and see how you like the lights you have. If things aren't growing fast enough for you, or if the look of the tank is too blue for your liking, then try changing it up. Maybe use a 10K 400W bulb the next time you replace bulbs, and add some T5 actinics to supplement. But for now, just KISS, and see how what you already have works for you.

Nate

Eric,

In that setup, I would run the Reeflux 12K 400watt bulb. Should give you great color and growth. I think this will work very well in that setup. Plus if I remember correctly you have the Coralview ballast as well, so a perfect combo. It is a bulb that a lot of SPS gurus I know use and love.

Back