Evil blue-legged hermit crabs?

LunaReef

Non-member
I have some blue-legged hermit crabs in my tank. Every time I watch the tank, it seems they are up to no good. They are always climbing all over the snails, it seems like they are harassing them for their shells (even though I have plenty of empties for them). They knock alot of stuff over too. The few scarlett-legged hermits I have seem alot more docile. Anybody else find this to be true?

Last edited:
Maybe they need new shells? I had 2 of my monster blue hermits rip a large turbo out of its shell, and the snail was only in my tank for about 12 hours. It looked pretty gross. The worst part is that they just left the snail, and its shell in the tank. You may want to consider putting a few empty shells in your tank for the crabs to inhabit.

Cripes! That is scary to think they ripped a Turbo out of it's shell. I have seen mine badgering the Astreas but not the Turbos. I have also suspected that they did in my Cerith snails. I know at least one of my hermits is now carrying a shell that was once one of my Cerith's.

Ha, no thanks...thinking of trading mine in if I can round the six of them up. It's so weird, the scarletts just mind their own business...

My friend had a shrimp that liked to live in his overflow, you could always put them up there, or in something HOB with some LR.... Could always give them away, good deeds are usually returned on this forum!

Both good ideas...I will have to see if I can round-up the evil little gang without ripping my tank apart. :)

That's what I've read quite a few times.. that the blue legged ones are devils. I only have one left in my tank, and he's a decent size, but I've never seen him bother anyone. In fact, he's like the only real dude seeming to pick at some of the hair algae. The red ones are definitely very docile and are not very active at all. They are lazy hermits and I have like 5 of them but they are more for show than anything.

There's some debate whether the blue leggeds are bugging snails that are already dying/dead or bothering healthy ones. I figured I'd play it safe.

Yes they have a very bad reputation. Unfortunately the ones that have a good rep, are three bucks a piece.

I have 24 in my AP24 and don't have a bit of algae. Only ones I have seen them bother is each other. Knock on wood.

Back