Expansion, Looking for some input about pumps and more!

Jr22121

Non-member
Ok, so i have ungraded my entire system and as you all know to well im sure..... Its not good enough.
Currently im running a 60G Cube in my living room next to my couch with the sump and skimmer in the stand. Tank is quieter and more beautiful than my 27 cube ever was but i am still not satisfied.
Next move for me is to build a room in my unfinished basement (Fish Room, Fish Cave...it will have some cool name) and expand my system to include at least one 40 breeder frag tank as the first stop for my return drain from the display, before the sump (have not settled on a sump size yet.)

Looking Mainly (but NOT only) for recommendations on pumps that can handle the lift and put out the 700 gph that my overflow can handle. price is a factor within reason but i am not cheap, i want quiet although downstairs this wont be the biggest concern, submersible or external. RELIABLE

on another note, quiet overflow option????

Thanks!
thinking of making a blog for this project if theres interest, ive never done that before.
Justin

You have to figure out your head height and then there are charts out there that show which pump you should use to handle it. I went with a reeflo barracuda/hammerhead hybrid and dial it back with a valve but my head height is about 12 feet

You have to figure out your head height and then there are charts out there that show which pump you should use to handle it. I went with a reeflo barracuda/hammerhead hybrid and dial it back with a valve but my head height is about 12 feet

im figuring 12-14 feet at most height wise but i will also have about 5-7 feet of run as well

how long have you been running the Reeflo? any issues?>

I've had one for years, great company to work with, my first pump started to leak after 4 years at the seal and they replaced it with a new one with no questions. Didn't even ask for a receipt. I got that one and picked up another one just so I'll have a backup. It's a beast of a pump but it steps down the wattage used when it's dialed back, save me a few bucks here and there

Reeflo are rock solid. I have 2, but in an overall effort to reduce my electric bills I went with a DC12000 gen2 waveline. I run a basement sump (125g) pushing up 13 feet to my 150g display. You might be fine with the dc10000, but check the flow charts as s_Kelly suggested.

I actually run the internal DC pump fall through spring to grab any heat I can to minimize my heaters running non stop. Then come summer I cut over to my external reeflo.

Both are dead silent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reeflo are rock solid. I have 2, but in an overall effort to reduce my electric bills I went with a DC12000 gen2 waveline. I run a basement sump (125g) pushing up 13 feet to my 150g display. You might be fine with the dc10000, but check the flow charts as s_Kelly suggested.

I actually run the internal DC pump fall through spring to grab any heat I can to minimize my heaters running non stop. Then come summer I cut over to my external reeflo.

Both are dead silent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hadn't thought much about having two pumps set up like that, really like that idea. Thanks for the input!

I use a reeflo manta and its a beast, but it gives me a 10x turn over rate for my 180 display tank and can handle the vertical loss with ease.
Couple things I highly recommend to dampen the sound echoing vibrations that will drive you mad and keep you up at night...
Use flexible pvc for your pumps intake and at least 3' of the output plumbing. I hard plumbed everything and I hate my life.
Get some rubber pads to place under your pump and use some foam pads to back any an all pipe supports along your return line, especially through the floor penetration and along any basement ceiling joists.

Back