Finally took the plunge!

RayD

The Chicago Experience!
Today was the day I took down the MH fixture and converted to T5's.

I've become very frustrated with the ever rising cost of running metal halide lamps every day. So in an effort to thwart the evil National Grid empire the fixture went on today! :D

8x54w T5's running 4 actinic and 4 daylights. They look GREAT now let's see how the animals respond to this.

Time will tell.

Is this a 4' long 120g? And you're switching from 2x250w 10K, and 4x65w actinic PC, right?

So that's 424 watts, down from 760 watts! That should be a really nice savings.

I'll be interested to hear how the change goes.

Are you keeping your old fixture for now, in case things don't respond well in the next few months?

I'm converting also

I will be doing a diy hood and getting rid of the mh on my 30 cube which is 20" wide. They only company that makes 18" 20watt T-5HO is Current-USA and they just started making them. I'm going to make a diy hood and put 5 bulbs in it. 2-10,000k and 3-actininc running off of two Fulham Workhorse 3 ballasts. I'm waiting for Marine Depot to start carrying the 18" 20watt, they are that new! I've heard good things about the Fulham ballasts. I think they are the ones used in Nano-Cube, Bio-Cube, all-in-one tanks. Anyone else have experience with Fulham Workhorse Ballasts?

Is this a 4' long 120g? And you're switching from 2x250w 10K, and 4x65w actinic PC, right?

So that's 424 watts, down from 760 watts! That should be a really nice savings.

I'll be interested to hear how the change goes.

Are you keeping your old fixture for now, in case things don't respond well in the next few months?

I absolutely am keeping my MH fixture. I had actually been using 20k XM's for the last couple months. When I did my math I really didn't count the Actinic PC's. They gave off very little light. The blue T5's are WAY brighter in the Actininc department.

I'll wait a few weeks and see how everything responds to this change. Especially my checkbook! :D

Keep you all posted.

I have been very impressed with T-5's when I went to jebar777's (Scotty's) house. I could not believe how much more powerfull they are than pc's. When I do another setup it will be t-5's fo sho.

Back