Firefish breathing heavily, yawning- please help!

GiannisK

BRS Member
Hello,

I have bought a firefish and it is my first saltwater fish. He is currently in day 5 of quarantine. I treated with Nox-Ich (malachite green) and supplemented with StressGuard, replaced all the water after 3 days and re-dosed. I am planning to purchase copper but for now, I have malachite green so I've been using it.

Water is at 78, pH 8.0, ammonia 0.05 ppm, salinity 1.024.

He didn't eat the first two days of quarantine, but on the third he did eat a couple of TDO pellets.

I did a freshwater bath for him for 5 minutes the day I replaced the water. It was a pretty stressful experience-- I knew he was probably going to jump and I had a lid ready but he jumped within 2 seconds of being put in, so I didn't even have time to put the net down. He was out of the water for about 10 seconds as I struggled to gently grab his tiny body. He did tip over during the bath but continued breathing. When transferred to the new tank, he was sitting down, breathing heavily for a few hours, then was acting great after, swimming fine and eating 3 more pellets. The tank has a barrel decoration that is hollow inside that he loved to hide in for the first 3 days, but since the water replacement has not gone inside.

This morning I noticed he was sitting on the bottom for a long time in the morning. I was concerned this was due to a lack of oxygen. The tank is 5 gallons and has a 150 gph HOB which I ran at half flow overnight. It's in a very small bedroom, and the window was closed, so CO2 could've built up. I have an airstone but I had turned it off cause it seemed to be too much flow for him. I have since opened the window (unfortunately it's basically just cracking it beacuse of window bars) and turned on the airstone, and set the filter flow to max. He's back up now.

Right now he seems to be breathing somewhat heavily and is yawning about once every minute. I did not see any flukes after doing the freshwater bath, but it was also my first time doing it. There are some tiny white specs on the bottom of the tank, I don't know if this is just random particles, maybe undissolved salt, or even tiny flukes? Is it possible? The fish is about 2 inches long.

I don't see any other symptoms. He hangs around the same spot all the time, sort of bouncing in the water. I have prazipro arriving tomorrow, think I'll treat with that incase it's flukes. Anything else I can do? *Any* advice or tips would be extremely appreciated!! This is my first time with saltwater so I could be making loads of mistakes.

Thanks!!

He always sits down in the corner when the lights are off.... When I turn the lights on he is always hovering around this one spot (perhaps where he detects the least flow?). His breathing still seems pretty rapid.

Back