First LPS Fragging Dragon Soul

Mixed Reefer

BRS Member
I bought this Dragon Soul Torch from one of our sponsors ( @MofoCorals ) less than two years ago as a single head. It quickly grew in my tank to over twenty heads. At this size it was out growing the tank and limiting what I could put next to it. So I decided to cut it up! I want to say this was a pretty easy task using a dremel and a diamond blade. I saved a majority of the torch to fill the spot where it was and ended up with nine frags. This was my first real fragging and it was fun to do and just want to say it was easy and that you could do the same! Happy Reefing

D3CF57D4-5F88-49A1-8FA0-E148FD32A44A.jpeg
42629559-948D-4A0E-9FA2-375831874484.jpeg
5E45293D-51EF-4E03-ABB8-B1539E44E4E0.jpeg
75277E5A-42A5-4B07-8BF1-37297A234D4A.jpeg
DFE003B6-198C-43E5-867D-7240EF6B8834.jpeg

Cool stuff. What did you use to put them in after cutting but before gluing to new plugs?

Cool stuff. What did you use to put them in after cutting but before gluing to new plugs?
Thanks! I just tried to work clean as possible and used different containers of water to rinse them. This colony was super healthy so I didn’t feel that I needed to dip in iodine.

Ive been watching some propagation videos and many coral propagators use some type of dip after they cut. A brief iodine based dip for healing and avoidance of any bacterial infection.

Ive been watching some propagation videos and many coral propagators use some type of dip after they cut. A brief iodine based dip for healing and avoidance of any bacterial infection.
Yes I’ve seen these videos. I’ve actually was thinking of doing it that way. But it was a last minute decision. So Yesterday was the day I had to cut because the torch just wouldn’t sit right. It actually was so big that it grew and pushed itself off the base rock. I pushed off fragging because I just didn’t want to cut :). I was also concerned because trying to reseat it in the tank I could stress it out or damage it. Been there before very sensitive coral. Anyway When I cut I was cutting skeleton not flesh. All frags were cut and place back into tank 10 minutes or less. The torches had so much room to cut with large branches. I actually threw some away as I made the frags sit properly. Frags all opened immediately and look great today. no coral was hurt in the process:)

Back