Garlic???

ghost78

Non-member
Hi All,
I just got a new fish and i remeber back a few months ago someone suggested that i should use garlic to help the fish through the initial acclimaiton period. Can anyone tell me where i can get some b/c my LFS dose not carry it. Is there away to make it?

Thanks
S

You can buy garlic at the spice section of markets (garlic extract). Garlic is kinda like the chicken soup of the aquarium world, I don't know how much good it does, but I use it.

Jim

Uhm. Heh. Garlic is often easily found at ones local grocery store (or italian restaurant). heh.

Seriously though, we recently had a meeting where we made "fish goo" which essentially contained selcon, a blend of seafood, and some various powdered foods, that we blended up in a blender. One of the ingredients was several heaping spoons of (fresh chopped) garlic. Every time I touch the stuff, my fingers smell worse of garlic than fish. Evidently this is a immune system booster...

I wouldn't add too much....maybe toss in a little marinara to thin it out, eh?? :-D

Last edited:
They sell "garlic extract" at most local GNC stores.

well now the next question, sounds like any type of garlic would do just fine. But how much should i add to a 75 gallon tank say of garlic extract, or garlic powder disolved in water?

Thanks again
s

The garlic contains a compound that reportedly boosts the immune system. Garlic is also an apetite stimulant because of the "odor". The chemical is reportedly most potent when the garlic clove is damaged (fresh minced). You can buy a few cloves of garlic and a garlic press, or mince it as fine as you can with a food processor. Garlic powder probably wouldn't be as good to use. Garlic extract or fish-specific garlic additive is the happy medium. Less fuss, so even if it isn't as potent you'll tend to use it more often IMO. Definately add some fresh minced garlic in your fish goo though!!

Well it is for a tang, so what how should i go about making a fish goo for it? I am assuming that you would use this fish goo as a food. Am i correct? I do have some fresh garlic i could use. would it be good to add a clove of fresh minced garlic, and mabe some sushi wrap? I am kind of confused.

S

Some tangs will eat anything, so fish goo may work. I put meat and veggies in my fish goo so there is a little of everything. To get garlic to specific fish, soak their particular food (Nori/seaweed/whatever) in garlic extract. If you don't have it yet (or run out) just mince/mash a clove of garlic and put it in a fliter bag/coffe filter and soak it in some RO/DI water with the food. Add in some Selcon or other vitamin supplement to the soaking mixture for an extra healthy meal.

Back