getting zoas off a rock

mrcote1

Non-member
I bought a small rock with two types of zoas and some other coral on it. Id like to remove the zoas and put them on a frag plug to seperate them and also dont want the rock in my tank any longer since I don't want the coraline algae taking over. On videos people show methods of using a wood chisel with large colonies that have mats but what could I use with a colony this small? I dont have any wood chisels that small either.

Attachments

• 20181212_181409 (1).jpg
    20181212_181409 (1).jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 268
You can use the tip of a knife to get under the mat and peel them off or you could use a toenail clipper go breakway the rock with the zoa on it.

Are zoas pretty sensitive? Like if I nick them with the knife will they die on me?

Also what is the name of that other coral?

Looks like some kind of sps, maybe a Acro... zoas are pretty hardy. As long as you don’t cut up the zoa polyp too badly it recover. Just wear gloves and eye protection. They squirt and may be poisonous.

The rock looks small so I'd use bone cutters and cut the rock rather than the zoaz
My main concern with that is I don't want the coraline algae in my tank. I don't like having to scrape it off the glass and overflow and have it take over

Coraline will grow. It's a given with a mature reef. As long a syou scrape your glass often it wont calcify your glass.

That's funny you mention that. I noticed a tiny little (what i assume to be) bristle worm on my glass yesterday and have NO Idea how it got in there.

If you’re super delicate, you can literally peel the zoas off of any surface without hurting them, then you can glue them onto a plug of what ever. It just takes an intricate process and patience. I usually use a regular razor blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding coraline, I take pride in mine. It’s a sign of a healthy reef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got them off the rock. It was sort of a pain because the mat was tucked into the crevices of the rock real good. I assume I cut into one of the polyps because this thick brown goo started flowing from somewhere.

20181214_114237.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back