Glass Covering

mattn007

Non-member
What is the recomended/best method to make a back panel of glas black?

Black Paint? (acrylic or latex or whatever?)

Adhesive black backing?

Thanks,
-Matt

I used spray paint (Krylon Fusion) and it worked fine... just make sure to cover the rest of the glass panes (and the top of the tank) while spraying, and do a number of thin layers/passes, as opposed to a single thicker one.

Nuno

You can also roll on black acrylic paint. It's a little easier to prevent overspray with a roller, but also not as quick or intoxicating ;) as spray paint.

Intoxicating? Nothing like the fresh smell of spray paint in the morning :p

OK, maybe I should have added that I did it outside (still have some spray marks on the driveway) and used a mask and goggles, the spray is nasty stuff.

Nuno

I used reg bright blue on my tank & a paintbrush.

I also used black spraypaint on the back windows (inside) of my Monte Carlo
Looked real nice from the outside

Spray paint inside a car? Nate, what were you saying about intoxicating? ;)

All kidding aside, Dave, it must have been hard dealing with overspray in that situation... I can't imagine doing it, after my experience with painting the tank.

Nuno

Make sure you clean the glass real well first. I also prefer rolling on the paint versus spraying. The spray paint method was a PITA. Roller super easy.

nunofs said:
Spray paint inside a car? Nate, what were you saying about intoxicating? ;)

All kidding aside, Dave, it must have been hard dealing with overspray in that situation... I can't imagine doing it, after my experience with painting the tank.
Nuno

It was an intoxicating experience. I taped it off, did it in the summer.
One guy looked at the car from outside, wanted to know what window tint I used.
I told him "black enamel" :D
The back windows were fairly small on the Monte Carlo (78?), not too hard.
I did the same thing on my 66 Mustang

Back