Great Fish Store- NERD, Plaistow , NH

Looks like I need to give them another shot. I haven't been there in over a year. I had been in there about half a dozen times and was never really impressed. They didn't seem to be concerned with customer service and never really had much of a selection of salt water fish or corals. When I did ask a question I got a not very confident half a** answer. Let's just say that I never actually bought anything and their advice wasn't accurate. I usually don't like to publicly trash any store because everyone has a different experience and it is most often based on the circumstances and the employees they deal with. Hearing from Kevin and some of the other praise they are getting recently, I'm going to have to stop by again. It's convenient for me since it's on my way home from work and I kept hoping they'd improve. Glad to have you aboard Kevin.

:D

Kevin,
nice to hear from you, and nice to hear that your getting serious about saltwater.

I bought a couple of snakes from nerd many years ago, and IMO they are a very serious and responsible operation (even when NERD was just a bedroom in Kevin's parents house IIRC).

When zoo creatures first opened, I stopped in once or twice and wasn't super impressed, but to hear that Kevin is starting to take charge/clean house is very reassuring.

I'll stop in as soon as I get a chance.

Is the saltwater now in the same location as NERD, or is it still in that little mall down the street on the other side?

Hi,

We are in a new location not the OLD one in the mall..We built a new facility 14,000 square foot to house Zoo Creatures downstairs and NERD upstairs.

It has been a long road getting things up and running....... and I am still trying! I have cleaned house and basically have no one with any great salt experience other than me and I am not saying I am anything great as far as reef/corals. I am trying to train my minions and find the right guy for the Salt section w/o a giant Ego or a huge level of ignorance. This may be IMPOSSIBLE! We are focusing on water parameters with customers and reef techniques until we get our act together. I have a bunch new stuff coming in and I am trying to sort through my tanks and get stuff straight, organized, labeled, seperated from each other and BETTER!

Please do not expect to come in and be stunned with wonderment..... we are trying and we WILL be a very decent reef store if I can accomplish a few more things.

So there!

Kevin

I am glad to know that there are some people out there that are willing to help me. I have a 55 gallon tank i want to make a reef tank out of it. i have about 100 pounds of excellent LR that i bought from a member in Marlboro, nice purple fiji rock with pollups and other growth on it. Looks great. ph, salinity and nitrates are fine. i dont want to add chemicals. i did purchase the instant ocean bactiria cause i guess i am not a patient person. with in 24 hours levels were great. i have a yellow tang, 2 fire shrimp and a few hermit crabs and snails. bought the powerhead and have not turned it on yet seems to run to fast. also have the protein skimmer whick is going to be hooked up tonight. i ordered the correct lightings from DR's just waiting for it to come in. My husband wants to order a ph and salinity monitor tonight, so what's the next step??? thanks for the understanding. If John wants me to try his store out again I am willing to do that if he agrees! Like i said i am not on here to cause trouble i'm here for experences, helpful hints and problem solving

Let's all please try to keep the posts in the vendor experiences forum only about vendor experiences. No long discussions. Put questions about your tank in the Reef Talk section (which I see you have found), thanks.

Stopped in tonight. The salt section is really shaping up. Big difference from just a couple weeks ago. Nice livestock selection this week. They've got 3 or 4 Queen Conchs that look excellent and I noticed mollies in a few tanks. Not just black either, I think I might try a few...

Kevin, Great to hear you are looking at areas that need to be improved and moving forward. I'll stop by when in the area and take a look.

i have never had any problems with this store. About a year ago this was the only place I went too. got alot of live rock for $5 apound and once bought a butterfly that the day after I bought him, I noticed a hole that went clear through the fish around the eye spot. I spoke with kevin and he told me that if it died I could bring it in and he would give me credit.

It died, being busy at work it took me a week to bring it to him. He gave me credit on the fish.

This is the only LFS that has ever offered credit to me for a SW fish. Thank You Kevin for looking out for your customers.

Went to N.E.R.D today and I really was impressed with the service and information I recieved from the owner and the employee's.Went there to pick up a MH light because he had a great price on it and wanted to pick up some softies but he talked me out of it and explained I should wait.
Mice selection of corals,anenomes ect...Decent fish selection and from what I understand they are goin bigger with there salt selections.
Also Have a very knowlagable girl there that gave me some pointers on my dog and training him.
A+ in my book

I visited the store today and I must say what a difference. The SW section looks great, the store is WAY cleaned up and it's obvious that there's pride in ownership going on there.

I didn't buy anything today but I will be a regular visitor from now on.

Great job!!

Thanks for the nice comments...

I have been working on things trying to get things better. I am ready to become a sponsor here now that I won't be terribly embarrassed when the Gurus come in! I downloaded my form and I have to make a banner. I have some great stuff coming in to pack my tanks...each week it should get better and better.

Thanks again guys! Kev

Last edited:
Zoo Creatures - A refreshingly awesome place!

My husband and I got started in the saltwater hobby just over a year ago. We bought a 75g tank and everything else we needed for a VERY reasonable price at Zoo Creatures. From the very beginning Kevin was available when we had questions. Unlike so many other sellers, Kevin is not out to sell you as much as possible in order to make a buck. What he is very willing to do is offer his assistance with a livestock issue or setup question as well as share his enthusiasm over a new fish or coral. He has seen me with my arms full of merchandise that I thought I needed, and told me of an easier (and cheaper) method of achieving the same result (thanks, by the way!). With Zoo Creatures, I never feel like I'm shopping, rather, I feel like I'm visiting. There is always something new and exciting to see at this place. And they get new shipments in so frequently, there is a good chance you'll find something that you won't find somewhere else. Do check them out, they're awesome.

Last edited:
Back